Do I trust the hydrometer?

5to9design

I'm coming from the freshwater side of things so forgive my ignorance. I recently set up a brackish tank for fiddler crabs. I read on multiple sources that it takes approximately 1/4 cup or 2 tablespoons of marine salt per gallon to make the 1.010 sg a brackish tank should be. I mixed 8 tablespoons into 4 gallons of water but my Instant ocean hydrometer is only reading 1.004. Assuming I had miss-measured I dumped it out and started again. Same result. Are these hydrometers not that accurate? Water was roughly only 65 degrees when mixing, could that affect the reading that much?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Get a refractometer. It'll save you a lot of grief. I get mine from Amazon, less than 20.00. Works fine.

Temp will affect salinity readings.
A swing arm can be way off if not used correctly.
A refractometer would be better, get one with automatic temperature correction (atc).
Try to mix your water closer to the temp of the tank, room temp @ a minimum.

Thanks, Vinny. I didn't know about the atc. I'll look for that myself---useful.

I purchased an H2Ocean refractometer 6-7 years ago with an expanded/reduced scale from 1.015 to 1.030. It's specifically for aquarium use and easier to read than the typical ones with a larger scale. I calibrate it every once in a while, but it seldom needs adjusting.
I don't know if it's still manufactured, but if you're not also making beer I'd recommend it.

Back