Do I understand correctly?

Charfish

Hey folks...currently building a fishroom to support in-wall 180. Am pre-planning for eventual system setup and want to see if I'm thinking about this the right way.
Have been keeping freshwater since '77 and saltwater since '86...been out a few years to get married and breed some kids.
Here's how I am seeing this: LPS slightly more forgiving than SPS, water and lighting are slightly less critical. LPS and SPS will chemically fight with eachother so a mixed tank to be done carefully. Conspecifics will not harm one-another. I am thinking an LPS dominant tank with medium fish bioload. Already know I will go LED route but have some time so technology and pricing will only improve.

For the most part you have the basic idea. The bigger issue with LPS/SPS in close proximity is them actually stinging each other, not chemically, but physically.

LPS more forgiving: Correct
Water and lighting less critical: Well, the better your quality the better
LPS and SPS will fight: Just don't allow them to touch and you'll be fine
Conspecifics won't harm each other: Right
Technology and pricing will improve: Hopefully

IN the meantime, if you've been out for a while and aren't aware, you may consider T5.

Good luck:)

LPS more forgiving: Correct
Water and lighting less critical: Well, the better your quality the better
LPS and SPS will fight: Just don't allow them to touch and you'll be fine
Conspecifics won't harm each other: Right
Technology and pricing will improve: Hopefully

IN the meantime, if you've been out for a while and aren't aware, you may consider T5.

Good luck:)

SnowManSnow... have been reading everyone's opinions on lighting and the ongoing bulb replacement just doesn't fall into the fun part of fishkeeping for me. I think lighting will be ever-evolving and will certainly re-visit this before the time comes...I certainly have some things ruled-out...

All... I have had corals in the past and am familiar with sweeper tentacles... Are these going to be species-specific or more common with LPS or SPS? Do these need to be considered with every purchase and are there corals without the sweepers and corals to avoid?

Back