Do not buy from reefs 2 go

suicideissleep

I will try to warn people one more time do not I repeat do not buy pods from reef 2 go. Com this is we're my acro eating isopods came from and when I called them to ask them what these weird looking bugs that were not pods that told me not to worrie and they would not harm anything ethere way I picked out five I thought I got them all now I have 1000+ in my tank and all I can have in my tank is palys and zoas and nems now so I would reframe from buying pods from them
Thanks
Ron
P.s. I lost 900 worth of frags and corals to these guys in the matter of three months

It's hard to take a pic of them because there clearing with a light brownish design on them I will see what I can pull up

Because they are all under the tissue eating it between the tissue and the skeleton peeling it back and Peices float off still inflated and happy. And you can see them under the flesh if you lift it And they work fast.

oh wow, i got pods from them and i dont think i have seen any of those but dont have any corals at the moment so i might and not even know it...

since they are going after the duncan maybe try taking it out and dipping it every couple of days .

And like the website said they are burrowing so what didn't kill the coral won't kill them and also they don't lay eggs the female keeps the eggs in a pouch till they are fully functional now the adults I see are the size of a pin head so wonder how small the babies are lol

I dunno... after reading the website, they never really came to any sort of conclusion. While I am sure it is possible, there have been no confirmed cases of acro eating isopods anywhere. That being said, isopods do love decaying tissue. A more plausible explanation is something is causing the coral to die off and the isopods are just cleaning up. Not to mention you are now describing indiscriminate coral eaters, from acropora to your duncans. They are no longer solely eating Acropora, this only further points to the isopods eating dying coral tissue and not causing the coral to die itself.

In this situation, if you follow Occam's Razor, the odds of 2 more common situations creating this scenario are far more likely than 1 extremely rare situation.

It's possible either way. I guess the only way to know for sure is to get rid of the isopods. Sounds like it's time for some interceptor

From what the link with Ron Shimek was saying, they burrow underneath the mucus coating of corals, so I'm not sure how effective the interceptor would be. Isopods seem to be more resilient than amphipods & copepods, so they might make it through a tank nuking. Best of luck with getting rid of them!

I put them in 50\50 water and bleach they were alive for three hours I brought some to the workshop today gave them to Chriskid so we will see what he comes up with he's going to try dog dots

Last edited:
Back