Do purple tangs deserve their aggressive reputation?

amzar123

Do purple tangs deserve their aggressive reputation? I've worked out how to suppress this aggressive nature... for now...
I feel the aggression is more set up specific then the individual fish

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/GJGki8fg4cs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Tang aggression is based on a number of factors, both controllable (aquascape, tank size, tankmates) and not controllable (inherent nature, individual temperament). Beyond adequate sample size scientific testing, I think our anecdotal experiences are just that: anecdotal.

tang aggression is based on a number of factors, both controllable (aquascape, tank size, tankmates) and not controllable (inherent nature, individual temperament). Beyond adequate sample size scientific testing, i think our anecdotal experiences are just that: Anecdotal.

+1 I had two in my 180g a decade ago without any aggressive behavior at all for 5 yrs before I sold the tank

Tang aggression is based on a number of factors, both controllable (aquascape, tank size, tankmates) and not controllable (inherent nature, individual temperament). Beyond adequate sample size scientific testing, I think our anecdotal experiences are just that: anecdotal.

I totally agree... In the correct setting that can be model citizens :)

My purple isn't aggressive but she's got 3 bigger/similar size tangs to compete with. She's also got 7 smaller yellow tangs to keep in line and that's just a lot of work... Like a mom with too many kids and a job- she's basically not looking for a fight... Just food and shelter.

How did you reduce aggression?

Model citizen for me. Her tank may be a bit small at 105g, but it is 4' x 2' so she has plenty of room. She also shares her nori with all of her tank mates,and they have all grown to love nori day.

Her friends are:
Male and female Anthias
Male and female flame wrasse
5 Chromis
3 Pajama Cardinals
Red Scooter Blenny
Maroon Clown

Center bottom

My purple isn't aggressive but she's got 3 bigger/similar size tangs to compete with. She's also got 7 smaller yellow tangs to keep in line and that's just a lot of work... Like a mom with too many kids and a job- she's basically not looking for a fight... Just food and shelter.

How did you reduce aggression?

I've found keeping her with much larger tangs has suppressed the aggression.

Same theory really as above... Doesn't want to be noticed... Just food and shelter

One thing I found with mine many years back is it really loved to eat elegance and similar LPS corals. I wouldn't have believed it until I saw him swim off with some in his mouth. Still they are very pretty but the coral eating is more of a concern to me then aggression in regards to getting another.

I introduced a powder blue and purple tang at the same time... and they are roughly the same size. They flash everyone once in awhile at each other but nothing serious. I hope it stays that way.

As they grow, the tank gets smaller. As the tank gets smaller and their tankmates also grow, purple tangs can just go over the brink on a particular afternoon and go on a rampage with pretty bad effect on the tankmates. Had one who was a rescue, behaved like a doll for a while in a 50 till I could find him a home. Had another go berserk in a much larger tank for absolutely no reason but the situation above. Maybe water temperature, maybe slight dip in oxygenation, whatever touched him off it was mayhem.

I have had never had a overly aggressive purple tang and i have owned a half dozen or so.. Now yellows a whole another story

The PBT was introduced first and the PT was introduced when he was really small so I guess it was not a threat and I overfeed to keep the tempers down.

Back