Do RBTA's need any flow at all?

hypnoj

I'm setting up an RBTA only tank. It's 80 gallons. Will my RBTA's need any more flow than what's provided by my return pump (600 gph)? I have 2 x 1400 gph korallia's on a timer that I can add to the tank. Do I need them?

I am in the same boat, except I have 300 gph of return flow. Korallia's = Minced nems. If its for propogation I think you will be fine without any more flow.

I have a 75 gal softies tank and all I have is my return pump and 1 tunze 6025.
They are happy and have split once and may split again soon.
They are Green Bubble Tip Anemones. 4 currently. Lol

Do you have anything to keep them from being puréed by the tunze? I'm still learning about nems...

because its a small Tunze, there isnt a lot of suction....
But, the best thing is proper placement and smart flow.
I have all my returns coming over the back of the tank and i use direct flow on one end of the tank with a SCWD on the middle and right side of the tank. i put the powerhead on the right wall pointing cross ways and it blows right to left.

all the anemones are on the left and middle of the tank. because there isnt tuns of flow, and the lighting is consistent across the top of the tank, they never move and travel like some peoples.

So, the best thing i can say is smart placement so they cant get tangled.

I had a friend that had a 210 with 3/4 of the tank full of anemones and over 50 clownfish... (it was an amazing sight)
he used sea swirls to give his tank flow (which give some nice random flow and makes the nems sway nicely) and he used 2 aquaclear powerheads on each side of the tank on a wave maker. he implemented the huge strainers on his powerheads so there was practically no real suction from 1 single place to pull the nems into.

so, no open powerheads (tunze, Vortechs, Korellia, MJ modded powerheads and things like that)

a strong return pump and a seaswirl can put some amazing flow in a tank.
but so can smart placement.

(i say smart placement because you see people putting 4 MP40s on a 120 gal tank and they dont have enough flow.... i have 1 and its turned up only 75% of the way and it rocks my 8' SPS tank.... i have corals with amazing growth and PE so as long as things work together and not against each other, your fine. (think of what your wanting to accomplish and go from there. ) and avoid current hitting current directly. it just defeats the purpose when you can use them combined and have some fantastic results.

I am in the same boat, except I have 300 gph of return flow. Korallia's = Minced nems. If its for propogation I think you will be fine without any more flow.

I only have Korallia's in my tank and only once has a RBTA decided to head right into it but I also put the PH in a bad spot.

And the RBTA healed up :D

ill see if i can get a picture of my wife's sortie tank so you can see what all im working with.

That would be great! Thanks.

I only have Korallia's in my tank and only once has a RBTA decided to head right into it but I also put the PH in a bad spot.

And the RBTA healed up :D

I'm asking because I can think of four people in my local club that have had NEM purée in their display tank in the last couple of months. Although I think most where using Vortechs.

Back