Do Torches Tear?

Alamogordo

I'm new to the hobby and have had my 30gal set up for about eight weeks. I've added several different coral over the past week and have noticed something peculiar about this torch that I put in last week. I'm not sure of the exact type of torch but I super glued the stock (base of the coral?) to one of my live rocks to give it a little bit of extra flow. It appear to be doing very well. I had a pretty heavy algae outbreak a couple weeks ago and my tank is finally calming down. (I was introduced to water changes.) This little guy seemed to be thriving on his own.

Just yesterday I noticed that the soft tissue part of the torch appears to be detaching itself from the main portion of the stock and it seems to have gotten worse today. The piece that is hanging on now is floating with the flow and it looks like you could tear off at any moment.

I have an MP 10 on the back of my tank. 30x18x12. (12" deep).

Any thoughts? Too much flow?

(It's difficult to see in the photo)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 0
Just had a four head Aussie torch fade away in a month. Tried everything but to no avail. Looks like yours is doing what mine did unfortunatly.

Torches are quite difficult compared to other euphyllia. More temperamental to alkalinity swings. I would avoid it if your not prepared to keep very stable alk.

Yes good luck, I tried lower flow areas etc to no avail. Mine was doing great but once it started there seemed to be nothing I could do. I have hammers, frog spawn and an elegance coral that are doing great, fingers crossed.

Came home from work today only to find this little guy with every last piece of torch laying on the sand bed ;-(

I did recently add a hammer to my tank and it seems to be struggling regardless of the location. It's tentacles haven't even come out like the way I had seen it in the store and it's been in my tank for 3 days. Coincidence that my torch began to experience symptoms at approx the same time I introduced the hammer??

I'd noticed a couple recent posts on brown jelly disease. How do I check to see if my hammer has it - and if it does, do I just remove it from the equation?

Last edited:
You win some you lose some don't get discouraged. This is a teachable moment and your tank will be able to keep a torch. Learn from you're mistakes and on here. Sorry about the loss losing a coral always sucks.

I have had bad luck with torches in my 29 biocube. I suspect the alk variability is the problem. Hard to keep a small tank perfectly stable. My hammers and frogspawn are perfetly happy. Try those

From what i have seen its more of a stability than a range question when it comes to torches and alk. FWIW I also lost a torch like that. Tried again after I had stabilized my 2 part dosing and it did fine. No other variables changed.

I have seen larger Emerald crabs give haircuts to Euphyllia coral like torch and hammer. No reason to it I can see. Not like they eat the stuff. They just crawl up the coral and start snipping off polyps!

I've had a nice torch coral for 2 weeks now and it seems to low decent flow and light. It has been very happy so far

Back