Do u guys wash your hands or arms before putting into your tank?

Cool thanks for the replys guys I guess the skimmer can take out some of the natural human body oils if say u had oiley skin .... And my buddy was fragging zanthids at a time and got juices in the eye he couldn't see for a week scary had to go to er

I rinse well and dry before, always wear gloves, and wash with soap afterwards. If I do happen to use soap before I wait a while just in case and then rinse again to make sure. Paranoid.

I just dive in on the spot, do what I got to do, pull my hand out, walk a little faster while dripping on the carpet, towel dry in the kitchen and I'm good to go.

I usually don't wash or rinse before putting my hands in the tank.. but always do when I'm done. I am however very careful when really stretching for something on the bottom and my armpit gets close to the water due to deodorant..

• I find that I rinse well with warm water and then scrub dry with papertowels (no hand washed towels due to soaps, fabric softeners, etc.)
  • I pull a Michael Jackson and typically use one latex glove for feeding fish and working in the tank
  • I will then sometimes wash hands and arms with soap and water if I have been working in the tank.
  • I find that I use gloves more when working with chemicals outside of the aquarium so that I don't bring those chemicals in to the tank later.

A reefer friend laughs at me, but I feel these are prudent steps to keep the corals, invertebrates, fish and skimmer happy.

Gloves are best,imo. They protect the water from wah may be on lour hands and you from strange proteins / toxins in the water.There are a number of reports of serious infections to bare hands in a reef tank. I don't always use them becasue I'm lazy about it but know it would would be prudent to do so.

I wear shoulder length gloves. I'm a mechanic so it seems like no matter how much scrubbing or rinsing I do, my hands are never clean enough.

Back