Do u guys wash your hands or arms before putting into your tank?

BrentH

I'm a little OCD and I make sure I wash my hands and arms with dawn because I've always thought it rinses off completely compared to other soaps ?and rinse extra we'll and then rinse with ro water anyone else ... Do something similar or am I over doing it? I'm know we have natural oils and what not on are skin and hands and I'm sure they don't hurt anything ..unless wrenworkingbon the car or something

I tend to wash my hands obsessively. But thats mostly because I have an ecigarette and usually get the nicotine on my hands. Pretty sure corals don't like nicotine...

I'm a little OCD and I make sure I wash my hands and arms with dawn because I've always thought it rinses off completely compared to other soaps ?and rinse extra we'll and then rinse with ro water anyone else ... Do something similar or am I over doing it? I'm know we have natural oils and what not on are skin and hands and I'm sure they don't hurt anything ..unless wrenworkingbon the car or something

wrenworkingbon residue is the worst thing you can have in your system.
That's why I always make sure I'm clean before sticking my filthy paws in the tank.
:)

I'm not as OCD as I used to be but I do rinse thoroughly and wear latex gloves before putting my hands in.

Pretty sure soap has a bunch of phosphate in it, definitely a good idea to rinse well! I tend to not wash with soap immediately prior to placing hands in the tank, just rinse or nothing. And if my hands are dirty, I wash and wait awhile, and rinse a whole bunch ( in tap water).

Ya I'm kinda on the fench with the soap they say dawn rinses completely and I know it strips the oils but hard to be sure it's all off ? Thanks for the replys I was just curious my wire thinks I'm crazy i had an issue with hair spray in the house not to long ago as well

Mostly just a rinse unless I have to reach way into the tank. Then I use dish soap and rinse thoroughly.

Wash, hot water rinse, vinegar spray and dry. I keep vinegar in a spray bottle and use it as a rinse agent on to remove soap residue. Maybe overkill but my skimmer looses lots of head or overflows easily if I don't adhere to this cleaning regiment.

Wash, hot water rinse, vinegar spray and dry. I keep vinegar in a spray bottle and use it as a rinse agent on to remove soap residue. Maybe overkill but my skimmer looses lots of head or overflows easily if I don't adhere to this cleaning regiment.

Your skimmer overflows due to the displacement of the water from the tank to the sump, raising the water level and making the skimmer overflow.

Just put your hands in the tank for a sec, then watch the skimmer go down, and then have at in the tank. Once done, the skimmer will recover no differently than when feeding.

To the OP - I wash, then rinse thoroughly.

I am new to the hobby and never thought about it... looks like I should start washing my paws before sticking them in...

I rinse my hands and arms especially since my starry blenny and neon goby perch on my arms and nip at me

Would love to know what is required to "sterilize" your hands when going from QT to DT?

Is soap & water enough??

Would love to know what is required to "sterilize" your hands when going from QT to DT?

Is soap & water enough??

great question !

I usually wash my hands well with soap and water after going in QT, then wait for it to dry, then wash with soap and rinse again and dry with a towel ....

chlorine in tap water + soap should take care of alive stuff ... but if you get an egg or in active stages of ich stuck to you ... then it might not be enough.

I typically rinse my hands with gasoline to kill any bacteria, making sure it's still dripping off my arm when I place into the tank. Oh, wait...this isn't April Fools Day, is it? Nevermind that then...

I never wash with soap before putting my hands in that tank, but I do typically rinse for a few seconds first with normal tap water (sometimes with RODI depending on which side of the tank I'm on...I have an RODI outlet readily available depending on how lazy I am at the moment).

I do, however, wash very thoroughly with soap after messing with any zoanthids...I had a bad incident a few years ago when I rubbed my face after messing with some of those little bastards, and I was half-blind in one eye for a day.

Back