do you run your skimmer at night?

I run mine 24/7 as well, however some people will leave it off for maybe 1 night a week when they are feeding corals.

The problem is that at night, you Oxygen levels go down in your tank anyway, so if you turn off your skimmer your further reducing your O2 and essentially suffocating all your fish. If your going to turn it off at all, which you really shouldnt, do it when the lights are on. But seriously, run it all the time.

id never consider switching mine off at night, a good point brought up by username in use is the oxygen levels in the tank would be reduced if it was switched off, and i cant think of 1 reason to switch it off at night either.

not to mention a lot of you skimming happens at night because you aren't feeding the tank causing the oils in the food to disrupt the foam head of your skimmer. The only time I shut mine off is to clean the body. ( It runs during water changes as well)

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15424769#post15424769 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by username in use
The problem is that at night, you Oxygen levels go down in your tank anyway, so if you turn off your skimmer your further reducing your O2 and essentially suffocating all your fish. If your going to turn it off at all, which you really shouldnt, do it when the lights are on. But seriously, run it all the time.

+1. one of the great side benefits of a protien skimmer is complete oxygenation of the water, which is normally supressed at night when photosynthetic creatures consume oxygen instead of produce it.

If you wanted to save energy costs (very minimal, BTW) by only running your skimmer part time, you'd be better off to leave it off during the day and only run it at night.

"I dont, I leave my skimmer running 24-7. Except, when im putting in chemicals. I leave it off for an hour or 2."

Does the protein skimmer "skim" all the nutrients from the chemicals? cuz I turn my protein skimmer on 24/7, even
when im putting additives to my tank.

Back