do you think this will hold my 20g?

zach jay

right now my 20g is sitting on my floor in my apartment almost in the doorway to my room. however, my clowns and blenny seem to be happy (yup, its full of water, rock, and looks pretty good). however, its on the ground and i should probably clean up my room. my goal is to before finals end in the beginning of may. i've been on craigslist and found this guy. i'm wondering if you guys think it'll hold the 225+ pounds that is my tank.

3k83ma3p5ZZZZZZZZZ946959bee0a1df519c1.jpg

it looks nice and is a helluva lot cheaper than buying a stand at a fish store. thanks

I would be surprised if it would not. That said, I am going on the presumption that it is good wood and not a weak structure. I had a 10 gallon on a much less structural piece (a hallway table with thin, tall legs) when I was in high school. Make sure it has a solid back - no thin skin. I have a two drawer filing cabinet that I fitted a 3/4" piece of plywood into the back to prevent it from racking under the weight. It would rack to the side with the thin paper-like back they give you.

I'm putting my 65G on top of an antique desk, although it has been fortified a bit. It's solid wood though, not particle board.

Keep in mind, opening and closing the drawers often might rock everything around.

So basically, this is not a good picture to give you a real answer, but at least you have some things to consider.

thanks, any responses are appreciated. maybe this one would be stronger.

1110395240.html

i'm sure i'll still have to actually go and see the stand before just straight up buying it, but if i can at least scratch one or two off my list before making the trip to the person's house, it'll save me some time.

Either should work just fine as long as they feel sturdy. I have a spare 20long sitting on a p.o.s. pine coffee table with only 4 stick legs. It's one of those screw together Walmart jobs. It's been on there for months full of water & rock. Doesn't even bow.

I also have my 20 L on a put together cabinet I got a job lot. The top is solid but the sides are pressed and have locking screws. I never got to put a back on it and its holding mine. full of everything.

If price is a factor, the first few tanks I set up in my younger years (and also in college) I used cinderblocks and 2x4's. Then I hung a table cloth over that and put the tank on it. Worked like a charm and was cheap.

get you and a friend or two to stand on them. unless you have like 400 lbs of weights lying around.

I know its cheaper to do it that way, but consider the potential damage if (God forbid) the furniture was to fail under the weight. I think you may be better off spending a little $$$ and buying the stand. I'm sure someone on RC is selling a stand for a normal AGA 20!

weight of a 20g filled is only 160lbs or so, so jump up on it and stand on it,( assuming you are 160lbs or heavier) From the looks of it you should not have any issue...if you feel it wobble under your feet....you've got the answer, otherwise you're good to go!

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14820514#post14820514 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by staninct
I know its cheaper to do it that way, but consider the potential damage if (God forbid) the furniture was to fail under the weight. I think you may be better off spending a little $$$ and buying the stand. I'm sure someone on RC is selling a stand for a normal AGA 20!

i thought about that, but i'm not looking for one of those wrought iron stands. i really don't like how those sit and they don't look too sturdy. plus i like the idea of a smaller, wider stand.

Back