Do you use a UV filter glass with your SE MHs?

Do you use a UV filter glass with your SE MHs?

• Yes - I use a filter

Votes: 5 50.0%
  • No - I don't use a filter

Votes: 5 50.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
The DE lamps require the glass shield because their glass envelope does not filter the UV. Actually some of the DE lamps do have UV inhibiting glass but they are all rated for enclosed fixtures (meaning they still require the glass shield) only regardless.

The glass evelope of the Mogul lamps on the other hand does inhibit the UV so no shield is required to do so.

If you are asking about Mogul lamps only ... I do use the glass anyway, to keep the reflectors from salt spray and as a safety feature preventing potential splash on the lamps and socket.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15415892#post15415892 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by DarG
The DE lamps require the glass shield because their glass envelope does not filter the UV. Actually some of the DE lamps do have UV inhibiting glass but they are all rated for enclosed fixtures (meaning they still require the glass shield) only regardless.

The glass evelope of the Mogul lamps on the other hand does inhibit the UV so no shield is required to do so.

If you are asking about Mogul lamps only ... I do use the glass anyway, to keep the reflectors from salt spray and as a safety feature preventing potential splash on the lamps and socket.
Thanks for pointing out the SE-DE difference. I've edited the poll's question to SE only.

On my old 250 watt single ended setup (Lumenmax pendant) I used the glass shields to protect the bulb and the reflector.

Gary

I voted yes. Do not use for "filter" as much as protecting the reflector and bulb form getting dirty.

I don't sheild my 250w SE bulb. Actually I have never used glass shields. IMo the problem with them is that they end up fogging up (salt spray) and cut down on the light getting into the tank. It is much easier for me to clean the bulb and reflector occasionally. I have my bulb less than six inches off the water surface and have never had a problem with splashing or water getting on the bulb.

After I had a misshape with a PH and water sprayed up and sizzled on the bulb... Well, you get the idea. :)

Back