Do you use the mesh filter on your return pump?

laguest

Hi all,

I have an Eheim return pump that has a small mesh like filter and a plastic case that holds it in. From time to time when I do a water change and turn the pump back on the flow is less than normal which pushes less water into the overflow which then it stars to make noise. I have found out that if I remove the cover and filter floss from the pump the flow goes up and it looks good.

Is it OK to run the pump without the mesh? I do have a mesh that filters the water before it comes into the return section, its pretty much the same type of mesh on the pump.

Thanks

I think I am using the same line of pump(ehiem
compact?). That mesh was pulled the first time it clogged, no need for it. I left the big case extension on though.

Sent using Tapatalk.

You do not need that plastic case and sponge at pump inlet at all. Most pumps on market do not have that, and basically, they are all same.
Just try to clean it few times a year

I don't use one either. I do have the plastic screen on the inlet though to keep large debris from being sucked in.

I dont use a fine mesh screen they clg too easily in my opinion I use a slotted PVC pipe as a large debris guard. small stuff that fit through the slot should be passed by my pump. as long as sand/grit isnt a huge issue fr your pump you should be fine with a larger mesh.

Most use a plastic screen to keep larger debris out (typically comes with the pump). More about protecting the pump than anything.

Back