does anyone calibrate their new TDS meters?

Carey1465

Just got my new RO/DI system and I ordered the TDS monitor also. It says to calibrate it but not sure if I really need to. The meter reads 40ppm going in and coming out reads 0ppm. I called my buddy up and he said his water going in is 300ppm+ Does my 40ppm sound a little off?? Should I calibrate it? Thank you and have a good weekend everyone

I would question the difference in you and your buddy's numbers only if you live in same township and have same supply.

My water is 75ppm going in so 40 isn't unheard of but it is really good water

With that being said I havnt ever calibrated my in-line tds meter. I might get some calibration fluid. I calibrate my probes by never thought about tds meter. So this thread opened my mind a bit

Thanks

Last edited:
I have always calibrated every pH, TDS, and other electronic measurement equipment when I first buy it. The hanna calibration solution is usually $1-2 for a pouch and really helps you start with your equipment being correct. I have a Milwaukee pH meter that was purchased brand new and reading hanna's 7.01 pH calibrating solution at a pH of 7.6 so in my opinion, definitely a good idea to do with new testing equipment especially considering how cheap and easy it is to do.

How would I calibrate a in-line tds meter for RO system? I can't dip it into a shot glass of solution like I do to calibrated probes.

My HM tds monitor owners manual says it comes from the factory calibrated to 342ppm. I looked on Ebay for calibration fluid and its pretty cheap. I might just order me a small bottle and check it myself to be on the safe side.

New filter, skip. If it's acting weird calibrate it around the time a filter or resin is due for a change. RO DI equipment is fairly straight forward.

Back