DOes anyone have any experience with Atlantic Blue tangs?

novahobbies

I'm toying with this as my Last Fish. Which is down the line at the moment, so I have some time.

But I have some questions. Does anyone keep one? I love the lemonpeel look of the juvenile form, but I'm worried that my Potter's might see it as a competitor. How much of an algae-eater is it, and (most important) are they known to be terrible ich-magnets like powder blues or hippos, or are they a little more resistant....inasmuch as you can call a tang "resistant." ;)

I got one for my last tank (with 19 other fish in the tank) who quickly got ich and got all my other fish sick.

I have one that is doing well but have only had it for two months.
took to nori right away. Also eats or at least picks at algaes I put in tank.

I have had two others that didn't do well. No ick just didn't eat.

Watching him change is/will be cool. Got mine yellow now has blue line on top and bottom and some around eye.

When I got mine and it was a little off color due to shipping stress I assume but over the next few weeks in QT turned yellow with its blue trim and I love it. Put him into my main tank and even though he is smaller, kind of battled for dominance against my flame angel but nothing too aggressive just some flashing. He settled right in and is doing great. I did research and found that they weren't nearly as ich prone as hippos. Just QT him, feed him and observe him. I did formalin and prazipro treatments.

Yeah I should have specified that. I qt all my fish. I have occasionally "pushed" fish from QT a little early, but they all stay in there for observation, feeding acclimation, and disease prevention if necessary. If I didn't do that I would have crashed from Ich LONG ago!

As I said, I have a few fish on the list before I start looking for a tang...but I do hope to nab one before the end of the year. Thanks for the comments so far! Anyone besides Doogy have one with a dwarf angel?

I have had many (that I caught) they are easy to keep with a little time in QT. I can catch you one for free if you decide to get one.

We caught one in the Keys and my cousin kept him, I was too scared to put him in my tank, besides I don't have a QT. Anyways, he had him for a few months before it got ich. He did QT him but I dunno what to say. According to the previous posts, it sounds like a 50/50.. Good Luck

Catch your own locally, QT it, and it will be as close to bullet proof as a tang can be. The problem with the ones in the stores is all the handling and abuse they go through to get there.

Catch your own locally, QT it, and it will be as close to bullet proof as a tang can be. The problem with the ones in the stores is all the handling and abuse they go through to get there.

I think this is the way to go. I've already had a number of offers from some very kind divers for this very thing. Hopefully I'll be able to ask someone to keep an eye out in the next few weeks!

all sound good, but they are fast!!!! what will be the best technique to catch them. anybody

Fence net alongside a ledge or coral head, chase them into the fence and scoop them up. Yes, it's easier said than done :D

Just another tid bit, tang and flame angel still chase around a little, but my tang is growing crazy fast and is eating more food than any other fish in my tank, by far. Also, my A/C went out in my house, and all 3 companies that have quoted new A/Cs, the tang was their fav fish. I love him!

Fence/barrier net works, but like you said it's a challenge to chase them into it. A 6 foot drop net works good from above, easier too. Adults are harder to catch of course.

Back