Does freshwater eradicate saltwater ich?

kaz1961

Set up a new 65 gallon with live sand, live rock, and some media I had in my main tanks sump for a few weeks. Added a fish and everything was fine for two weeks, zero ammonia, zero nitrites, fish eating well. White spots showed up a few days ago which Im sure was ich and fish is dead. Completely breaking down the tank and bleaching most everything. I would really like to reuse the sand thats two weeks old. If I soak it in fresh ro water and let it sit for a couple of days will it kill any ich that might be in it? Hate to waste the sand if I could reuse it but will toss it if I have to. UUUGGGHHH!!!

Put in a trigger, figured he would be ok if I got a little ammonia but that never happened. I just tossed the sand, gonna start completely new, not worth taking a chance.

For future refference rinsing in fresh water will kill ich. I often rinse sand in H2O2 to and reuse it.

....you shouldn't have had to go through all of that miga-miro. Letting your tank run fallow for 8 to 10 weeks should have done the trick or eradicating ich......

Back