Does GFO leach iron?

ROR

Does granular ferric oxide leach iron into the water? I'm wondering if I'm running a Phosban reactor do I need to still dose iron for macro growth, or at least should I reduce the dose. Is it possible to OD iron by doing both?

Rob

I think it is fairly safe to say iron hydroxide will be released. However, I don't believe this is biologicaly useable and would probably precipitate anyway. But I'm currious as to whether anyone else has any insight...

I agree that some iron likely is going to make it into the water column. As long as the media is not being abraded, though, I think GFO media are fine to use. I doubt that backing off on the iron supplement is necessary.

Thanks!
The reason I asked is because I've been getting some extra brown algae growth since starting a Phosban reactor (strange, I know). Took me a while, but it finally dawned on me that perhaps this was caused by too much iron in my system. I'm going to cut out the iron supplement and see what happens.

Rob

I have similar experience witht the GFO. The instruction says I don't need to wash it. It created iron cloud that precipitate quickly to the bottom of the sump. Next day I saw a lot of cyano on where the iron was.

I'm wondering what caused the cyano. The iron itself, or the phosphate/silicate that binded to the iron?

Now that you mention it, I am having the same probs! :( Started running GFO last weekend and suddenly the cyano is going wild on my rock. It blows off easy enough with a baster but still looks like heck.

I can't guess as to why there's a cyanobacterial outbreak in these cases. Maybe it's iron, or perhaps there's some change in the ecosystem due to the change in the balance of nutrients. I don't think that GFO products are likely to release phosphate or silica very easily.

Usually I run GFO if I have nuisance algae. After the GFO, cyano is the only one remaining, but it's grow does seem very limited I had assumed that compared to other algae it isn't particularly P limited, but it would be interesting if there was something else going on as well.

Any chance that the cyano are more adept at living without phosphate than other bacteria that compete with them?

Don't mean to steal the tread...
I have the same issue, GFO is in use but cyano doesn't go away. My nitrates rather high (25ppm), so since C-N-P balance is messed up due to low P and high N, I guess vodka method wont work. Any suggestion to battle N?

That's interesting. Apparently, the cyanobacteria can outcompete the GFO for phosphate. What media is being used, and how much?

Most cyano will produce (fix) nitrogen from N2 rather than consume it. I've found some good articles related to this topic, but I haven't had a chance to read through them more thoroughly. A preliminary scan of these articles suggests iron may be more limitting for cyano than other bacteria/algae. So, I could be on to something, but I'm not sure.Unfortunately I will be away most of the day, but hopefully I'll get caught up on my reading early next week.

In the meantime, if you are intrested in more detailed info try searching google scholar with keywords phophate, iron, limitation (hint: particularly look at the cyanobacterium Trichodesmium)

Really? I didn't think that cyanobacteria were so inclined to fix nitrogen. That sounds energy-intensive in an environment with plenty of nitrate.

Whoops - should say "under the right conditions most cyano will produce (fix) nitrogen from N2 rather than consume it".

Sorry...

Hmmm... My system is low nutrient, I always register 0 for nitrates with a test kit (for what it's worth), but since starting GFO I've also had some persistent patches of Cyano. Perhaps iron somehow aids Cyano in fixing nitrate.

I've just done a 2 day total system blackout. After 2 days of having the lights back on again with no iron dosing I have no Cyano yet.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11353852#post11353852 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by ROR
Hmmm... My system is low nutrient, I always register 0 for nitrates with a test kit (for what it's worth), but since starting GFO I've also had some persistent patches of Cyano. Perhaps iron somehow aids Cyano in fixing nitrate.

I've just done a 2 day total system blackout. After 2 days of having the lights back on again with no iron dosing I have no Cyano yet.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe cyano has mechanisms to utilize forms of iron that would not typically be biologicaly available. If it could utilize iron hydroxide, for example, then might it also utilize an attached phosphate group?

As to nitrogen fixation, logically, it would only fix N2 if inorganic N was low.
However, I'm not sure this is always true. However, its not entirely clear to me under which conditions cyano does fix N2 either.

Back