does MH lighting reduce nuisance algae in comparison to T5?

jeffgnz

I currently run 2x39 white 2x39 blue T5s on my 3ft. Would I see better algae control with for example a kit of 2x150MH and 2xblue tubes? I am making advances on curing my algae problems but am looking for anything else that gives me a possible edge such as MH lighting..

In the example you have given I really don't think you would see a difference. Nuisance algae is going to growth is going to be more depended on excess nutrients then the lights you are using.

I concur with Toddrtrex... most nuisance algae can live without any light.
A picture of the algae would be helpful to ID it and tell you what steps you need to take to get rid of it

yeah front needs cleaning every 2 days, here is a pic of my main algae, i have scrubbed it off most of the rock but some has recovered. I think purpleup contributed to this but i only used it to get coraline started on my other rock (which it has done nicely btw!) and now i no longer use it.

2nv4975.jpg

It looks like hair algae, which is fueled by excess nutrients. What type of water are you using?

And what are your parameters ?

The light itself may cause an already unsitefull algea bloom only worse and if you go from the T-5's to the MH overnight without adjusting the main light time will cause more algea.

Algea thrives on nitrate and phosphate so controlling these levels is whats needed.

i use RO water, 2 diff meters test it at 0ppm used to test at 3ppm until i put a big di filter on it for the last stage. I have a phosban reactor running and just got an upgrade to a deltec mce600, all params are spot on, salifert phosphate reads zero nitrites 0. I just added some caulerpa to my sump, hoping it will grow like mad and start to compete with the algae. tank is 7months old. All i can think now is that i am overfeeding, it is very hard for me to gauge how much to feed.. i don't feel like i am overfeeding but probably am..

What do you all have in the tank -- fish wise and how much are you feeding -- and what are you feeding for that matter.

45gal display probably 25-30 in sump here is latest pic:

25zjgxw.jpg

I have about 5 diff flavors of ocean nutrition flakes, some freeze dried krill, garlic guard, kent zoe, a few frozen foods, i clip up some reg algae from the sump into the main that my foxface and baby blue tang like. I'll be upgrading the tank when those guys start to grow.

water flow is eheim compact2000 on max and a tunze 6025 modded which apparently gives it the same flow as a 6045

Great looking tank. Flow sounds fine. Adding a MH would only help with coral color and growth. If you do just remember to reduce the main light time and bring up slow over a week or two to prevent algea blooms.

Back