dont know what this is

I keep seeing a burst of what looks like sand comming out of my live rock. It shoots straight up every so often. Ive been looking at night and have not seen anything.
any clue what it could be??

are you sure its sand and not eggs/sperm of some sort? I have witnessed stomotella snails shooting sperm/eggs out quit frequently...

Could also be the force from a fish somewhere in the rocks. When my tang goes into the rockwork the force he creates cleans the junk of the rocks and shoots out.

sometimes sand will settle in the cracks and crevices of the rocks and when something moves water around that are it sends the water and the sane shooting out

usually a fish or a shrimp or something darting by and area will cause this

EDIT: what pot said

I use to see this from time to time myself. I have'nt seen it in a while. It would seem that once it started it would continue for a bit. I did catch a glimps of what was doing it in my tank. They kind of looked like a water snake(like at a novelty store), as they roll out from the inside. Of course there are probably a bunch of creatures that it could be I suppose.

Could be snails or mullosks of some kind spawning, or some type of inver like a crab or mantis shrimp digging around in the rock.

I have a type of worm that lives in one of my rocks that does this a few times a day. It has multiple long "tentacles" that it sends out to scavenge the sandbed and pull detrius etc. back to its "mouth". It looks like a big sandy poop cloud when it excretes.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14822746#post14822746 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by herostar
I have a type of worm that lives in one of my rocks that does this a few times a day. It has multiple long "tentacles" that it sends out to scavenge the sandbed and pull detrius etc. back to its "mouth". It looks like a big sandy poop cloud when it excretes.

I have this as well, what is it?

Back