doors on closed diy stand

is there a way to put doors on an already built stand with tank on it? or do i have to rebuild the whole thing (that would really suck)??

ive attached a pic of the stand.

IMG_2810.jpg

cant see much, but u could attach a jig to match the size of the doors u want, then rout it out. u would have to address any load bearing framing issues ahead of time

weve got a circular saw and a drill that can make holes. i was hopin that we could just drill a hole and then use the circular saw to finish.

heres a pic of the back of the tank. everything is reinforced with 2x4's so i dont think the load would be a problem.

IMG_2847.jpg

you can start buy drilling a small hole in each corner or about 1/4 from the corner draw lines on the outside to connect them and cut out a square hole in the stand with the saw you can hold back the guard and drop the blade right in you can then attach some molding to the edges of the peice of wood so it does no fall into the stand and then attach some magnets on the inside to hold it from falling out that is what i did with my 540g stand.

u could dothis with router, circ saw, or jigsaw. the framing looks sufficient. then just flush mount some doors and, voila. if u r going to drill out the corners first, dont go with too small of a bit. this will make 4 a smoother corner. id use like a 1" spade bit. will give u a nice smooth radius. router would be the easiest and nicest cut if u have access 2 one

It looks like you used press board for the sides of the stand, or are my eyes that bad?

Press board and water don't mix very well and will fall apart.

I would scrap the particle board as it is soon going to swell up and fall apart. The stand should be stable enough without it until you can attach some plywood or 1x4 or whatever in its place. As for doors I used www.qualitydoors.com unfinished oak doors. You can order them direct or go through HD or Lowes to save the shipping.

6-1023.jpg

stained5.jpg

DO NOT TAKE OFF TEHPLYWOOD ON THE BACK WITHOUT BRACING THE STAND>

If you remove the plywood on the back, the stand will lose shear support and teh stand could just lean over and collapse.

Put a cross brace on teh front then take theplywood / particle board off, then install some 3-5 ply wood.

As for the front, it is basic carpentry to make a face frame out of whatever wood you wish for your finish, (i.e. 1x? rim wood, liek 1x3 on teh ends and 1x6 on the top and maybe one by 8 on teh bottom. USe dowels or biscuits to glue and screw the pieces together, witht eh side pieces resting on top of the 1x8 ont eh bottom, and teh top piece on top ofhte 1x3s,.

Once the screws and glue has set, you will have an opening, that will frame the doors. The easiet type of doors will be 1x3 trim, that has one edge of the board has a notch cut into it, then install some 1/8" vaneer ply in that notch, and but joint the four pieces to make the door frame.

Teh doors should overlap the face frame by one half inch on three sides and hopefully comewithin a1/16" at teh joint between the two doors.

If I had a picture of this process it would be much clearer, and rather easy if you have a table saw, some long clamps fo rthe doors and the face frame.

Trying to straighten or install doors onthe 2x framing members you have will be hard and not come out too well.

Good luck, and hopefully someone can show you some pics.

Bill

it is mdf baord. i know about the water, so i polyurothyaned the heck out of it. if i sealed the inside would it be ok??

i dont have anything in the back, its open.

i just would like to add some doors to the front so i dont have to turn the whole thing when doin somethin in the sump (what was i thinking not to put em in in the 1st place).

might have to just build a new new one i guess.....

Its only a 29 gallon tank, its not going to weaken the stand to remove the particle board and replace it as long as you don't scoot it around without it supported.

not sure I understand, do you have mdf inthe bak or not?

As for the front, take a look at azdesertrat. the front is made of 1 inch thick wood, as a frame, that creates theopeings for the doors. The hinges screw onto the side or edge ofthe frame.

The opening does get smaller, but nominally, but hte holes become square so the doors fit and close correctly.

good luck.

Bill

Back