Dosing carbon, slow dose, or all at once?

sfsuphysics

I've been dosing vinegar for a bit now trying to deal with nutrient issues (nitrates) and so far I've been simply measuring an amount and plopping it in the tank. Now except for the potential pH change (which I'm not terribly worried about in approx. 600g of water) is dosing it slowly more effective? From what I've read it's the bacteria which use the carbon, which then use nitrates and what not, but does a slow drip help distribute it better? Or am I over thinking things?

You're worrying too much. :) The limiting factor is the amount of organic carbon added to the system, most likely, and adding it faster is fine as long as the pH is acceptable.

I was wondering the same thing. I finally hit my maintanence dose a few months ago. I hit zero nitrates shortly after hooking up a Doser that doses 24 7, about a drop every 10 seconds or so. Don't think it was the way I dosed but I was wondering if only dosing during the day would be better. I will probably keep it the way it is because I would think it would make things more stable but unless someone has proof otherwise I will keep it on a constant drip.

I use a constant drip and it works great for me. Before I did that I did once a day doses and that worked great too. I'd say do whatever is most conviniant. the bacteria aren't that picky.

So its ok to dose all at once? Im up to 75ml on a 180g and I have been adding it all at once in the evening.

I would check the pH in the display a few minutes after dosing, and then maybe after 15 minutes, and work from there.

I think one or two doses a day is ideal.

Its tempting for those with dosing pumps to try and spread them out further, but I don't think there is any benefit. In fact it may be worse, because most dosing pumps are not 100% accurate. Lots of small doses will result in greater daily variance that one or two larger doses. I believe the bacterial process being is quite slow.

75ml sounds like a normal dose if you're using vinegar or combo that is mostly vinegar. I would do 2x 37ml morning and end of day copying Tom (tmz) who seems to be the resident expert on this stuff.

-droog

Back