Dosing question

ataylo13

habitual line stepper
Recently I got a dosing unit for dosing 2-part.

When I started:
Alk: 5dKh
Ca: 450
Mag: 1700 (was dosing to get rid of briopsis)
Salinity: 1.026

I start the doser dosing ~20ml a day, which slowly started bring dKh up by .5 after a week. I increased dosing to 24ml a day, whichgradually increased Alk by .5 every two days. Once it got it around 8dKh I cut back on the dosing to 20ml a day. After a few days I noticed that the dKh was dropping, so I have not gradually increased to 30ml a day. dKh now is around 6.

My current explination is once I got the parameters right, then the corals could efficiently use Alk. That is why the dosing needs to increase. Has anyone else experienced this? I have a 90G heavily stocked with SPS, does 30-40ml of Alk solution a day sound high or low?

30ml/day in a heavily stocked 90g is nothing. To keep my Cal at 450 and Alk at 9.3 I dose 61ml/day. 3 clams and a ton of SPS in a 75g. Bertoni said that as long as you are below 3dkh/day in ALK you should be fine. For me that's 84ml/day with Seachem Reef Fusion 2 part.

Good to hear. I know my numbers are still a little low, but wanted to make sure I wasn't going to nuke my tank if I keep raising the dosage.

Im in a similair situation trying to raise my alk, but bear in mind, with the 2 part, the alk dosing raises your ph a lot, then drops. I try to not ph shock anything and dont go above a ph rise of 0.2 but I also cant keep up with the alk demand. I think Im going to have to do a slow drip spread out over 24 hrs to keep up.

Aussie what doser are you using? I dose my 61ml in 24 equal doses throughout the day using the Bubble Magus T01.

I use the aquamedic twin, alk and ca. The alk is dosed 3 times, spread 8 hrs apart , as is the ca, each dose of alk is around 20ml approx. I just set this up last week, so still dialing it in. I have a 125 with decent amount of sps and lps.

I am using the proflux doser, so I am dosing 15 times a day right now.

BTW does anyone use two part and kalk in topoff?

i have a heavy stock on a 125 with kalk drip 24/7 and i dose between 150 ml about 5 times a week

Back