Dosing vitamin c in my 14 gallon biocube?

Rickmaxx17

I was told at my LFS that dosing vitamin c will help my zoanthids grow faster. He also said that it was thought to help heal damaged soft corals. I read a couple forums that said it does work. Has anyone tried it in a 14 gallon biocube? And what is everyone a opinions on dosing vitamin c?

I got better success with lugol Iodine, for my 180 gallon I put 10 drops/per day all my zoas are growing like weeds. I know a local reefer dosing vitamin C and she says that her Lps and zoas are growing out of control too...

I hope that the LFS told you a skimmer is a must also.. You will find many threads here regarding VC ;)

I've looked into the vit c dosing for zoas. So far I can't find any proof that it isn't just simple carbon dosing.
That said I dose acetic acid as a carbon source and my zoas seem happy.

Its worth a shot, but I would treat it similar to carbon dosing and thus keep an eye on nitrates/phosphates.

I recently had a zoa frag die off and checked for pests, my chemistry was good. There is still one polyp and I'm just trying to find a way to save it. My LFS did a dip for me and said to check out vitc. I'm open to trying a good way to help zoas recover they are my Rastas

Zoa frags can stay closed for awhile. Because of this sometimes algae/slim covers the polyps and then they don't re-open. Acclimation to light can be a big one aswell. Because of the wider range of light zoas will accept, its easy to shock then when getting new ones when you have stronger lights. Screens over the tank / placing the zoas near the bottom of the tank helps with this.

For recovering zoas I would try to set and "forget" them. Moving them too much can stress them/ they won't grow. If they start to stretch they may need to be moved up.

Zoa frags can stay closed for awhile. Because of this sometimes algae/slim covers the polyps and then they don't re-open. Acclimation to light can be a big one aswell. Because of the wider range of light zoas will accept, its easy to shock then when getting new ones when you have stronger lights. Screens over the tank / placing the zoas near the bottom of the tank helps with this.

For recovering zoas I would try to set and "forget" them. Moving them too much can stress them/ they won't grow. If they start to stretch they may need to be moved up.

I went ahead and moved them to the bottom. Let's see what happens... What's the best way to acclimate them to the light?

I'm starting dosing today just a very small amount. Im also taking out my phosphate removal and mechanical filtration. Let's see how it goes

Back