Dosing?

Bobbyv12

So you can throw booze into a tank and it will help your fishes?! I heard about this method but what do you use and what does it do? I'm just curious this topic seems pretty cool:beer:

Its carbon dosing:

You are speeding up the bacteria in the tank which is breaking down your nut. levels in the tank.

There are many types hence vodka, vinger, prodibio, brightwell mb7 and bio fule.

The list can go on and on

How about purigen and chemipure is that considered dosing? I have that in a media rack in the back of my biocube would you guys recommend using that while my tank cycles? And I'm running my skimmer, damn I hope you guys have a club meeting soon I have so many questions!

Ur ok bro lol!!
Dosing is considered a liquid form of Alk, Calcium, Magnesium, Strontium... etc, etc, to help stabilize your tank parameters. Having a consistant and stable tank with help in coral development. As mentioned earlier some people dose Vodka as a carbon source to help combat Nitrate and Phosphate issues which hinder coral development. Thus they dose Vodka or Sugar.

Chemipure and purigen are not considered dosing as they are solids. I've never used them so I can not tell you more about them. I just let my tank cycle without any use for chemicals.

Next meeting is in April.... so stay tuned.

Noel broke that down really well pretty much what ever he said dead on correct. There is carbon as in charcoal and carbon as in what Noel stated

Welcome to NYRC!

Glad to see you are asking questions!!:) That is how you will learn some of the tricks of the trade. There are always new information to be learned. This is a forever evolving hobby.;)

There is a great deal of information on "Carbon Dosing" out there..... Take everything with a grain of salt as all aquariums are NOT the same, and ALL react differently. What may work for some does not work for all.;) Keep that in mind as you enter the hobby/addiction. Yes, addiction as in once you dive in you will never be able to go back.lol
Never never ever stop researching... Always something new being discovered.

Thanks for the help! Like I said I'm new to this and I feel like kid in a candy store with all this info and pics I can't wait till my tank is good to go! And I'm looking forward to the next meet up from all the posts it sounds like you guys have a great time!

Think of Carbon dosing as a way of fixing something that is wrong..... There is a fine line..... Too little and no real affect ....too much and POP...... Constant Testing and charting is needed... and Not all results are the same.....

The others mention Prodibo..... Purigen.... NOPox..... are all systems if you will.... They load then strip then balance your system.... and to use some of them you need a much bigger skimmer than you need for a regularly stocked system so that you can fraction and strip the water of the excessive additives

The use of Mechanical/ solid filtration is used for several reasons one of which is water Clarity. Physical Carbon Polishes your water .... and the tumbling action of teh activated carbon is what helps it... Other products like Chem pure and Chem pure elite combine carbon with Ferric oxide so that it polishes and absorbs any additional nitrates and nutrients aiding in "cleaning " your water.

Many of products often state Not to use Carbon or skimmers when dosing..... so that it is absorbed into the water column fully and effectively.

Then ya turn it all back on and watch the skimmer go berserk......LOL....

I have used Prodibio in the past and had a strict dosing regime with good results.

Vodka..... Thats for me while I watch the tank......

Brian

"Vodka..... Thats for me while I watch the tank....." Lol that my friend sounds like a good plan! I am currently running purigen and chemipure elite and my water looks crystal clear but they told me that will push back my tank cycling I have my skimmer going but no collection cup (I'm trying to break it in) and when I did use the cup it was pulling some gunk out I'm going to check my levels Tuesday and if I don't see any sights of less nitrite and nitrate then I'm taking all those chemicals out. I used only chemipure elite and a bio wheel in my 10 gallon nano and that sucker has nice levels for a small tank and it cycled pretty quickly, but for now I guess I'll just be boozing on the vodka till my biocube cycles, all I have are rocks and some pods in there womp womp lol

If Your cycling.......... Use Nothing...... Its only gonna prolong your cycle and give you false readings

Yeah I'm going to take all that stuff out tonight I just did another test and only ammonia dropped everything else is the same even after a water change thanks for the help guys!

just so you know your looking at 6 weeks before you level out ...... Nothing good comes fast.......

Yeah I know it sucks its been about 3 weeks already but at least I have my nano tank to look at when I'm bored

Back