Dottyback with Six Line Wrasse? 55 gallon stocking plan :)

cherryfox22

Hello all! :wavehand:

Saltwater newbie here. After a fair deal of research, these are the fish that I want for my 55 gallon softies and LPS reef.

(Don't worry, I won't be getting any fish anytime soon. I just want to have my stock approved, so I can start researching more in depth the best set up for everyone and finalizing plans. :reading:My current apartment only allows a 10 gallon, so I am hopefully moving within a few months to one that will allow a 55 :0)

-Pair of Ocellaris clowns
-1 Six line wrasse (I'm aware of their bad reputation for being terrors, and that there are far more peaceful and prettier wrasses. Despite all this, I want them over other wrasses).
-1 Orchid dottyback (p. fridmani)
-1 Long nose hawkfish

I'm aware that all the species can be fairly aggressive. I also know that the six line is known for being a terror, and after you add them, you can't add any other fish typically. I'm 100% okay with that. I plan to get these fish, and no other fish for 10-15 years or however long they all live for :) I'm also aware that any small hermits or shrimp would be considered snacks by the wrasse and hawkfish.

Plan for setting up aquarium is as follows:
1. Set up 55 gallon with ~100lbs dry key largo/marco shelf rock and sand, cycle it using pure ammonia and test water with Red Sea/etc kit. (It will have a skimmer, no sump, possible HOB refugium/algae scrubber, possible canister filter, looking into kessil lights )
1.5. Set up two 10 gallon QT tanks (with lots of fake aquarium decor so the fish have lots of hidey holes), cycle it using pure ammonia (or put two HOB filters on DT, and cycle them all at the same time)
2. Add snails (cerith, nassarius, etc.) to DT and let stabilize for ~2 months after cycling
3. Get corals and add to DT. Let the corals grow in, (get better at keeping them and the water stable and happy) and then wait at least 72 days from the last time I added any corals before getting fish so I don't have to QT each individual coral (excluding zoas and palys for a few days).
4. Get fish. Ideally, I will get the fish from someone on the forum looking to get out of hobby, or craigslist. I've seen people with a pair of ocellaris clowns and a six line, so they would most likely go in one QT together. The orchid dottyback and long nose hawkfish, would go in the other QT.
5. QT fish for 8 weeks. Add to display tank at same time (within minutes of each other).
6. Enjoy my happy tank :inlove:

Questions:
1. Would this plan work? I've seen a few videos on youtube, with tanks varying between 29-60 gallons, that have an orchid dottyback and six line wrasse together, with seemingly no problems. From all the threads I've read from various forums, most of the problems seem to come from adding one of the fish when the other one has already been established in the tank first. I figured if they were added at the same time, to a decently filled out reef tank, then there wouldn't be problems.

2. Would adding 5 fish all at once be too much of a bio load? I've read that for new tanks, you should add 1-2 fish max each time. However, while still considered "new," my tank would be around at least 6-8 months from when the cycle had finished in regards to maturity.

3. Would these 5 fish make my tank count as "overstocked?" I strive to have understocked tanks typically, and don't want the extra maintenance and bio load headache that overstocked tanks bring.

Thank you so much for all your answers and advice! I'm very excited to start on my reef keeping journey! :bounce1:

Very good research, I wish I had done that instead of jumping in quite like I did and learning on the fly.

Questions:
1. Would this plan work? I've seen a few videos on youtube, with tanks varying between 29-60 gallons, that have an orchid dottyback and six line wrasse together, with seemingly no problems. From all the threads I've read from various forums, most of the problems seem to come from adding one of the fish when the other one has already been established in the tank first. I figured if they were added at the same time, to a decently filled out reef tank, then there wouldn't be problems.

I do not have any experience with the fish in question one, but for stocking lists post in that sticky in the New to Hobby forum and snovrich will reply with a good answer.

2. Would adding 5 fish all at once be too much of a bio load? I've read that for new tanks, you should add 1-2 fish max each time. However, while still considered "new," my tank would be around at least 6-8 months from when the cycle had finished in regards to maturity.

Your bacterial filtration is maintained in equilibrium with the fish waste that feeds the bacteria. Thus as you add fish slowly the bacteria increase appropriately to break down the extra waste material. It's not like the bacteria are stockpiled and waiting. So add fish 1-2 at at time.

3. Would these 5 fish make my tank count as "overstocked?" I strive to have understocked tanks typically, and don't want the extra maintenance and bio load headache that overstocked tanks bring.

I would think this is a good list for a 55gal tank. Over time you will know whether or not the tank is overstocked, but I think this is a fair list. The difficulty will be having the discipline not to "add just one more".

Thank you so much for all your answers and advice! I'm very excited to start on my reef keeping journey! :bounce1:[/QUOTE]

Thank you @texdoc77 for the very informative reply! I appreciate you explaining how the bacteria work.

I've already got the green light from steve/snorvich for the wrasse, hawkfish, and pair of ocellaris clowns in the 55 gallon. I felt that the orchid dottyback required more of a discussion, which is why I posted here, instead of over there. :)

Here are my revisions to my original plan:

1. Scratch the 55 gallon, and go for a 75 gallon instead to gain an extra 20 gallons of water, and 288 sq in of foot print space. (Surely, there's an afforable studio or one bedroom somewhere in LA will allow 1 bf, 2 cats, 1 30lb dog, and a 75 gallon reef?)

2. Add fish in the following order (after being QT'd for 8 weeks).
~Wave 1- Pair of ocellaris clownfish
*Wait 1-2 months*
~Wave 2- Long nose hawkfish
*Wait 1-2 months*
~Wave 3- Six line and orchid dottyback (will each be in their own 10 gal QT tank, added same time)

Just wanted to touch on the stocking and "adding just one more fish." I like to think I'm *fairly* disciplined when it comes to this. I had multiple freshwater aquariums, and once I had my stock planned and added, wouldn't add anyone else. I take weeks, if not months, ogling (not in a lecherous way) fish videos and pictures, and fine tuning my stock plan. That way, there's no impulse buying because I've researched every species out there that I could possibly wanted, and narrowed it down. (Oddly, there are actually very few saltwater fish that I want).

Plus, there's always the fear of knowing that any newcomers would likely not be welcomed with open arms from the current residents. I don't want to rock the boat.

Thank you again!

Last edited:
Well then you've covered your bases well. I was probably talking to myself more than you then with my "just one more comment". LOL Let us know how it goes.

Yay, I'm happy to hear that! When I attempted to start a 55 gallon saltwater four years ago, I got scared and did freshwater instead. There was just so much to learn, and so many things that could go wrong; it all seemed very intimidating.

I do have a weakness though when it comes to adding "just one more," freshwater spiny "eels" and ropefish. If I ever had a freshwater tank large enough, I would be highly tempted to add more if I saw one on craigslist that needed a good home. ;)

I probably will increase QT to 10 weeks, after reading in a sticky about how 9 weeks is recommended to make sure there is no possible ich.

Thanks again for all your help! Now time to do some more research about the boring equipment and lights stuff.:hmm1:

If anyone else has anything to add, I'm all ears! I appreciate the wealth of knowledge that is available here on RC. I'd really like to do things right the first time.

Sounds like you know what you are getting into from your research. The only thing I would change would be to actually introduce the fish quicker. I know that goes against what we usually advise, but with these fish I think a two week wait between additions may actually help keep the fish from claiming territory and lessen their aggression towards the newly introduced fish. Two weeks is plenty of time for the bacteria to adjust to the new load, you are only introducing one or two fish at a time. I would even consider adding the last three fish all at once.

Oh wow, okay good to know. :)

An additional piggy back question. I have discovered they make aquariums that are 85 gallons LONG with the dimensions of 72" long x 15" deep x 17" high.

The only other fish that has been sort of a dream fish of mine is the one spot fox face. (I have a huge thing for foxes, and apparently poisonous animals as well.) I've read anything from 75 to 125 gallons being the minimum for them, with most people saying a 6 foot tank is far better for them.

Just to clarify, I'm talking about the ONE SPOT fox face, not the magnificent or any of the other larger species.

I know it's only 10 gallons larger than a 75 gallon, but would the extra 2 feet in length make it a good environment for a one spot fox face?

I figure it's a win win for everyone. Win for me because I would get a 6 foot tank, and win for the landlord and floors because it's spread over a larger surface area. (And easy to convince my boyfriend to approve a 10 gallon larger aquarium, he already vetoed a 5 foot 100 or a 6 foot 125).

I'm already looking into rental insurance to cover aquariums, and drafting my rental resume for when we start our apartment search! :)

That would bring the new plan to this:
85 gallon aquarium (6 foot long and 15" wide)

Stock:
~1 Spot Fox Face
~2 Ocellaris Clownfish
~1 Six Line Wrasse
~1 Orchid Dottyback
~1 Long nose hawkfish

Then stocking wise, I would add the pair of clowns first, foxy second, and hawkfish, wrasse, and dottyback last.

Upon discovering that a 6 foot aquarium is out of the question once my boyfriend realized how it'd be as long as he is tall, and that hawkfish are better suited for a larger aquarium, it's back to a 75 gallon. No hawk though, and obviously no one spot fox either.

Back