dragon eel

just buy him ,did you see the coloration on the jap gragon eel ? one of the best colored ones that i have seen !get him now or he will be gone.

If I didn't just buy a butterfly and a lion I'd grab it, augh!! That one is soooo nice. I just have to hope one that nice shows up in a few years when I have the space for one.

Thank you all for your quick respond. I hope I did not ask too much questions. I just want to do all the research I can before I buy this fish.
I am pretty sure I will come up with some more questions. LOL
any more " Watch Out" That I shold look for before or after I buy the eel?

I bought mine about a 6 months ago from Liveaquaria. It is very easy to care for. I feed it whole squid, clam, silverside and it eats it all. The only thing you need to worry is to make sure that the tank is well covered otherwise, it tends to jump out.
good luck

I just upgrade my 75 to 90, I know not much difference. I am planning to get one and put in my 75g tank. I am just doing my homework. I donot want spend my house payment and flush down toilet in a week. as right now, I am planning this will be dragon eel only tank, with asm 1 skimmer, with 2 maxjet 1200, pc lights. LR and LS with PVC. I live in CA. I just donot want the rock slide from earthquick kill my eel. maybe I will put lion fish in there or snowflake in it. What do you guy think?

Newreef69, care answer those questions I post it in page one?
thanks. hopefully, this thread will help other future dragon eel owner.
TIA

Would not recommend to lion in there with it. Mine is pretty active and could easily get stung or worse (could try to eat it).

In that size tank, damsels/chromis are your only options.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14807334#post14807334 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by dave168
other option that i have is 42x26x13(h) tank it is about 60 g.

WAY too small.

Some "may" be eatten, but they can be replaced.

If it's by itself or has small "edible" tankmates there is no difference in the footprint of the 75 vs the 90 (just height). I'd save the $ and the extra salt and get the 75g.

BUT....I hope to move mine to a 156g (60x24x24) or 180g (72x24x24) when we move in the next year or so.

I think the extra 6" or width and 1-2 extra foot of length would be much appreciated by your eel.

Eel and Damsels/Chromis only do the 156g.
Eel and Damsles/Chromis, and maybe 1-2 large fish do the 180g.

$ and foot print will be your biggest restrictions.

I was also thinking about your Earthquake concern the other day and you may want to consider doing what I was going to do. I've run it by a few shops and most think it will be just fine.

Take 1-3 Milkcrates cut out the handle area's and flip them upside down. Strap your rockwork to them with some type of material (maybe black plastic zip ties or fishing string). This will make a cave than cannot collapse and with 1-4 cave entrances. You could even put 2-3 in a rock and make a large rock formation in the middle of the tank with multiple cave entraces.

Just something for you to consider.

So my best bet is put this guy in a 180g with little or no tank mate. wouldnt like look boring it is almost looking at empty tank? how about if I put some large size tangs? and anemones? or LPS corals?

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14823379#post14823379 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by dave168
So my best bet is put this guy in a 180g with little or no tank mate. wouldnt like look boring it is almost looking at empty tank? how about if I put some large size tangs? and anemones? or LPS corals?

Not sure if you read my post or not, if you just want the eel there is no reason to go bigger than the 156g.

If you want 1-2 large fish Tangs/Angels I'd do the 180g.

Either way if you pack it with a variety of Damsels, Chromis, etc... It will still be quiet active.

My eel does laps around my tank, watch the video. My DME is no where near as lazy as my SFE or Goldentail.

yes I did. I just think a 156 for 1 guy is little too big especially most of time you will only see the head pop out. I have seen your video. it is awasome. it is just that I have not see eel swiming freely in LFS, that is why i want to add some other fish in it.

I can tell you that my eel is much more active when he has the tank to himself. I put a large Broomtail Wrasse in with him 7-8" for a temp house and the eel was not nearly as active.

Once I removed the wrasse the eel immediately became active again.

Back