Dreaminmel's 120g Build

dreaminmel

Finally after a few moments of false restarts over the years, it is happening. I have no guarantee that it won't have to be moved in the near future (property found to be contaminated and Shell is dragging heels) but I need this aquarium to come to life and mesmerize me with all of it's creatures and challenges.

So here's some info:
Homemade stand
2 Led boxes (yes they're Chinese)
55g basement sump
Gary's old Lifereef skimmer
Deepwater DC8 return pump w/ controller
10g refugium
Tunze powerheads

Plans:
SPS dominant but limiting to a few gorgeous ones as opposed to every frag I can get my hands on... lol
Fish to include anthias, YT damsels, other dither fish, and still debating Majestic Angel or similar.

Current status:
Rock stack done, sump full of RO/DI water with display being filled this weekend at latest, shipment of updated test kits & other goodies is on the way

Pics of stack for now. More to follow as things progress. :)

That kid is beast!

That kid is beast!

Look how big already!
Glad to see you've not given up playing with salty rocks and water!

:wave::wave:

:bounce1::bounce1:

Can't wait to watch this unfold!!

Thank you, Scott! Glad to be getting back to it! This dry tank and it's rock stack have been staring at me in the living room for 3 or 4 years now so enough was enough. lol

Look how big already!
Glad to see you've not given up playing with salty rocks and water!

Thank you :) He's Kevin Jr. for sure! You should see him shoulder tackle dada... it's ridiculous how much of a tough guy he is already. If he doesn't do football in the future I will be genuinely surprised.

Welcome back ;good to hear from you. I need a hat like that.

Welcome back ;good to hear from you. I need a hat like that.

Thank you Tom. :). Are you still running all of your tanks?
(My mom found the hat on Etsy I believe. :D )

Looks great. I'm sure Kevin Jr. will love it. What kind of anthias are you thinking about?

Matt

Thanks Matt. Dom has only been in an LFS once so far at Coral Dudes but we may pop into a couple more of them next weekend. I can't wait to see what fish he likes best! Most likely a yellow one... lol
Anthias: I'm leaning toward the less boisterous side with dispar or ignitus but still trying to determine my full wish list for stock so that may change. However it unfolds, the Anthias will likely be added earlier than others on the list.

Last edited:
Thank you Tom. :). Are you still running all of your tanks?
(My mom found the hat on Etsy I believe. :D )

Yes, just 9 of them and around 700 gallons including refugia total now. Also qt tanks for new corals and fish. Many of the corals and fish are over 7 years old; some older.

I'm blessed to be able to do it as the years accumulate on me.

Patience is a virtue... patience is a virtue... patience is a virtue... lol

Here's a couple pics now that it's got water, sand, and lights. Canopy is in the works while this cycles so the LEDs will provide more spread when said and done.

Used one 160g bucket of IO last week and here's where it stands without any adjustments:
Salinity = 35
Temp = 78
Alk = 11.2
Ca = 490
Mg = 1350
Ammonia = .50
Nitrite = .25
Nitrate = 2
PO4 = .64

I also have a few goodies coming that will go into the 40g quarantine so I'll at least have something to captivate me while the display cycles... :)

Thanks guys! :D

This photo of a Steve Weast tank has been my on my work computer (dual monitors) the whole time I've been away so between that and watching pictures of tanks like Gary's on Facebook on a regular basis... this has been a long time coming. Now I just have to reprogram myself a bit to actually comment on things since clicking like isn't an option here. :D

Uggghhhh... cycle is taking forever... but my quarantine is all good so the above coral have gone into that (plus a couple other lol).

Display is now at:
Amm = 2
Nitrite = 2
All other params same as prior.

Back