Drilling a Hole....

Go Hooter Go

I am going to drill my 29 and put an internal overflow inside. The sump will most likely be 10 gallons.

I am thinking of around 300-400 GPH flow rate. I looked it up on ReefCentral's calculator and told me minimum of .77" Drain hole. I was thinking of going 3/4" but 1" seems kinda big for a 29?

Any suggestions?

better too big then too small-- you don't want a flood if you get a little piece of gunk restricting flow--- unless you like floods.

True....

On my 220 Gallon, I already had 4 Predrilled 1" holes, but had to seal one off and use one for a return and the other 2 for intakes...

1" Holes drain I think around 400 GPH, but I'm not sure...

I must be losing it or just excited about finally setting up the tank after 4 or 5 months.... :rollface:

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6984141#post6984141 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Andrew
Ive got a 1'' on my 10 gallon and I wish I would have went larger.

Wow, really? I've been looking it up but actually I forgot something....

I needed to make a 1 3/4" Hole, so I can use a 1" Bulkhead. But the guy from Hong Kong only sells 45MM Drill Bit, but the actual size of a 1.75" hole in MM is 44.45 MM... A difference of .55 MM. Could that affect anything? I'm not sure.....

I'm thinking no it can't and theres always silicone to fix leaks or to seal... But, I've learned water is very tricky... :eek1:

I had about 300-400 gph running through my 10 and the overflow can handle it but it doesn't seem to produce alot of flow through the tank. Ive been thinking about adding a second 1'' overflow and then getting a 600-700 gph pump. Its a BB so Im putting alot of flow through it. The Rp flow is the only flow I have in the tank. No added powerheads.

I was thinking of adding 2 Aquaballs from Ehiem in the Corners with 2 Hydor FLO Rotating Deflectors plus the Return Pump flow...

Also, I'm still learning but, what is a BB?

Anyone know where to get a good internal overflow customized or not from?

I built the last ones I had, and well... I'd rather not have to do it again, but it I have to, It shouldn't be too much work, since I have a better understanding of them now...

Yea, but I see some tanks have nice rounded overflows and I can't do them like that, or don't have the equipment...

Some places sell them online, but I think they can be pricey....

Just experiement on some 5.5 or 2 gallon tanks. I went out and a 2 gallon tank and started drilling wholes and ect before I used the real tank. You could just use three prieces of arcylic. US plasitics In Lima has good prices of sheets of arcylic. usplastics dot come

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6984186#post6984186 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Go Hooter Go

I needed to make a 1 3/4" Hole, so I can use a 1" Bulkhead. But the guy from Hong Kong only sells 45MM Drill Bit, but the actual size of a 1.75" hole in MM is 44.45 MM... A difference of .55 MM. Could that affect anything? I'm not sure.....

I'm thinking no it can't and theres always silicone to fix leaks or to seal... But, I've learned water is very tricky... :eek1:

Half a millimeter????:rolleyes:
Trust me it can be off more than that!!!
Huh Dwayne???:D

Really you're going to have 3/8" of gasket sealing all the way around using the 45mm saw. If you use a Dremel you'll be lucky not to be out of round by 2mm and still be able to get a good seal.:cool:

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6984186#post6984186 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Go Hooter Go

44 mm bit-- http://www.richontools.com/catalog/i306.html

44mm = 1.73"

I ordered one yesterday..

The 1" bulkhead I bought at garys says it needs a 1 3/4" hole but it measures a little less-- about 42.5 mm-- should be fine with a 44mm hole.

I think the 45mm would work fine also.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6987254#post6987254 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by hllywd
Half a millimeter????:rolleyes:
Trust me it can be off more than that!!!
Huh Dwayne???:D

:D

Back