Drilling holes in side of stand.

S4lt Lif3

Hey everyone, I built a 30g sump/fuge that I will soon be switching over to. After building it and everything I realized that I wouldn't be able to get it under the DT without moving the tank away from the wall and having to empty it and stuff. I came the the conclusion of just putting the sump next to the tank which gives me more space to do stuff.

My question is, I bought a 2" hole saw for the plumbing, and was wondering if I got wood to put from the stand floor to the bottom of the tank for extra support on the side I need to drill, will I be ok?

Thanks for any response or advice.

My guess if its only a 2" hole you will be fine without any additional support. However if your stand is very poorly made you might need to support it.

they way you worded your question made my head spin :D

are you asking if you need to add extra support on the wall of your stand if you drill a 2" hole through it?

i would side with brianokc and say that no, you shouldnt need any extra support.

lol sorry I made it sound confusing, but yeah just wondering if I need extra support for the tank cause I need to do 2 - 2" holes in the side of the stand, the stand is the AGA stand but i was just gonna stick some wood under there to hold up the tank just incase but I should be ok?

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14132905#post14132905 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by S4lt Lif3
, the stand is the AGA stand but i was just gonna stick some wood under there to hold up the tank just incase but I should be ok?

You can brace it then remove any boards you need to in order to slide the sump under and then put the boards back. Most the boards on those manufactured stands are aesthetic and not structural.

wait, your not going to remove any boards from the stand are you? your just drilling a couple of two inch holes right? if your just drilling holes you should be fine, unless i misunderstood something and your going to remove a board from the stand? if you remove a board from the stand then yes, adding a temporary support member will be needed. if your only drilling holes then dont worry about and extra support bracing.

Or you could just do what I did:

P1010002.jpg

P1010003.jpg

Actually it would have been plenty strong enough without covering the hole backup, so I assume you merely covered it back up for sake of appearance.

Purely aesthetics. the cover really does not touch on the top even. Gotta keep momma happy :D . I am going to be upgrading also so I wasn't that concerned with looks but it hides my calcium reactor that sits right inside there. My DIY light canopy doesn't look much better. I added pieces and parts to an existing stock canopy, but is functional.

S4lt Lif3 you will definitely be OK. People tend to over do it in this hobby but if it gives you piece of mind then it's whatever helps you sleep at the end of the day. I put two support posts under the joist in the basement and a year later removed it recently when I redid my basement. I realized I was able to loosen it by hand so I took it down.

Thanks paul, I apreciate it, the pic definetly makes me feel better but I just wanted to make sure. Thank you for the responses everyone.

Back