Drilling Rock: Need Advice

Travis L. Stevens

I'm looking to drill a hole in some rocks to slip them over some 1/2" PVC pipes to make a pillar. What would you recommend to use in order to do this?

FWIW, I used a masonry bit to start the large hole by running it completely through. Then I took a hole saw for wood, and finished the job. It too a LONG time to get this done, and there has to be a better way out there. In addition, I tore up my hole saw, though that's not a problem.

75gPillarFunClose.jpg

75gPillarFunFar.jpg

75gFullSetup2.jpg

no but wiggle it around and or try using smaller bits so that you can punch through with a chisel...

Travis, do a Google search on Large Masonry Drill Bit. A place called Hermanscentral.com has them all the way up to 1 1/4". Sears has 3/4" for $8.49.

Travis, do a Google search on Large Masonry Drill Bit. A place called Hermanscentral.com has them all the way up to 1 1/4". Sears has 3/4" for $8.49.

Home Depot carrries Hilti and Bosch bits and i would use a hammer drill but be careful so you don't break you rocks

Well, all I have is a corded drill, so a masonry bit will probably be the way to go. Hopefully Lowe's carries one since it is the only hardware store near me.

remember to go slow!! let the drill do the work, if you force it or go to fast you can shatter your rock. I did it to a bunch of rocks and after a little bit of trial and error i found that if ya go slow it work well. I would recommend going with a little bit smaller pipe too. Maybe like 3/8 or so, i tried the 3/4 and because of that finding a bit was a little difficult and it also added to the rock destroying. Aside from that have fun with the stacking :)

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10460818#post10460818 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by hndakd
remember to go slow!! let the drill do the work, if you force it or go to fast you can shatter your rock. I did it to a bunch of rocks and after a little bit of trial and error i found that if ya go slow it work well. I would recommend going with a little bit smaller pipe too. Maybe like 3/8 or so, i tried the 3/4 and because of that finding a bit was a little difficult and it also added to the rock destroying. Aside from that have fun with the stacking :)

I plan on going slow, but the reason I am using 1/2" bits is because the PVC in the tank is affixed to the frame which is built out of 1/2" PVC (see pictures above). But, even if I bust a few pieces, it's not going to matter. I'm making it out of DIY Rock, so it's cents on the dollar for my cost if I bust a rock instead of $5.99/pound if I bought real live rock at retail.

Good thing your drill is corded, a cordless sucks because the batteries run out. I drilled some rocks a few weeks ago, my corded drill was left on a jobsite and I didn't feel like driving to get it. I was stuck using the cordless drill and alternating batteries back and forth between the charger and the drill. It didn't work for too long before I was totally out of juice...

give us update on your project.. i was thinking of doing somethign similar.. but not as dramatic with the egg crate or using pcv to hold rocks in nice formation.. my idea was to cute 1" wide and as high as the tank with the egg crate and glue it 2 of them on the back of glass one to left and other to right. than drill a small hole in LR to run fishing line to tie it.. or clear zip tie.

Back