Driver questions...before I make more mistakes.

Percher

So I've done ok with all the A/C DIY stuff for my tank, but have made a few mistakes with the D/C side of things and I wanted to make sure I was ordering the right stuff.

I bought three, 10W multichip LEDs with the following specs:
Operating Voltage:9.0-11.0V
DC forward current: 1000mA max
Rated power: 12W max
Viewing Angle: 120 Degree
Intensity Luminous (Iv): 800LM

Can I use a 12VDC, 1A power supply and wire the three LEDs in series to a MeanWell LDD-1000HW driver?

The LEDs are going to be mounted onto VGA coolers and I was wondering if I could run them off a single power supply or if I'd need a secondary 12VDC power supply specifically for the fans?

----------------
Lastly, I have a LED driver that is 12V, 30W, 2.5A I bought by mistake. Does anyone make multichips that I could use with that driver?

No and No
11V x 3 = 33Volts..
Your power supply must be greater than the sum of the max forward voltages of the leds in the series string plus some extra for the LDD.. (+4 volts is good)
So you need a min 37V supply.. (48V is easy to find)

Now as far as the current rating of the power supply.. it MUST be at least 125% more than the max current draw.. So you need at least a 1.25A rated 48V power supply( I'd do at least 2A rating or more). And now you need a 12V supply for the fans..

Meanwell ELN-60-48 will power all 3 leds, and you can adjust the amperage to 1000mA (1 Amp).

The fans would need a separate power supply, and it's specs would depend on the specs of the fans on the VGA coolers.

Meanwell ELN-60-48 will power all 3 leds, and you can adjust the amperage to 1000mA (1 Amp).

The fans would need a separate power supply, and it's specs would depend on the specs of the fans on the VGA coolers.

Yes I'd favor a complete solution like that too vs the LDD adapters.. BUT I would pick a LPF series over the ELN... ELN is "old skool"
The 3 in 1 dimming of the LPF is just better/easier to work with..
LPF-40D-42 is perfect..

It's old school yes, but still a viable product as well as being cheaper per unit. A couple differences I see are:

---The ELN is bigger than the LPF
---When purchasing the ELN, you must specify VDC or PWM dimming (The LPF can manage both signals)
---Efficiency difference is only .5% (LPF-40D-42 vs ELN-60-48xxx) )LPF-40D-48 vs ELN-60-48xxx is 1% difference)
---LPF-40D-42 is set current/voltage, the ELN-60-48xxx is Current/Voltage adjustable)

---The LPF also now has a 5 year warranty vs the ELN that is at 2yrs. (5 years is a nice coverage range)

Don't get me wrong, the LPF series is a great product if you want "bolt in and go", but if you want more control/"adjust-ability", then my rec would be the ELN.

Awesome. Thanks for the replies! Everything has been ordered up and will be arriving over the next week.

Back