Drukkosz Upgrade

drukkosz

Hello all,

It has been awhile, but with the purchase of a dream house it was also a time for a new tank as well.

It has been a crazy journey that I have been working for over 7 months now. Didn’t really have a plan at the beginning so was modifying things as I went.

The goals:

150g premium crystalline Planet Aquarium 60x24x21 in leaving room,
Needs to be silent,
All filtration and equipment in the fish room below,
No more lifting buckets,
Easy maintenance and customization,
Lots of storage and no more clutter and stuff laying everywhere,
Protect the floor and walls from saltwater!
I will probably add more to that list as we go…….

So this is the new fish room:

Ok a portion of this room will be dedicated to the fish (right corner):rollface:

After installing floors, painting the room and moving the tank from the old house:

[/QUOTE]

Last edited:
New build started simple:

I was going to use a 100g tub that I already have laying around and build a sump from it just like I had it on my previous tank:

Yea, that changed quickly too.

After doing some thinking and research I decided not to go with the tub option. But I couldn't really find anything that I like for the sump and frag tank.
In meantime I received a sump from a family member that I decided to use. But I was worried about the amount of water in the pipes in case of power failure. It has to drain somewhere and my floors are not the option.

After months of cutting, staining, and changing my mind all the time I came to conclusion that I will add my existing 125g tank to the mix and make it as a second aquarium. WHY NOT?

The plan is to have the water drain from the main tank to the sump that will be sitting on the right site and from there it will drain to the 125g, I will cut the overflow from the old tank shorter so there is plenty of room for the water to drain. At least that my theory.

After taking everything apart for the 15th time and building new stand for the 125g here we are:

As far as wall protection from saltwater I decided to have a little fun with a torch.

I also moved the electric outlets higher so they are not so close to the water source.

While doing that I run new lines and added more outlets so now I have 3 20amp dedicated circuits for the fish.

Oh boy, when a reef tank project becomes much more then just the tank. I know what that is like. Your work looks great! Looking forward to the progress of it all

There goes the first pipe

and long............. LONG time after some progress has been made

two returns:

Last edited:
Question:
Is there a time frame when you cannot edit your posts anymore? I was trying to add more tothe "goals" in the first post to keep it it all in one place but I dont see the edit button anymore.

Question:
Is there a time frame when you cannot edit your posts anymore? I was trying to add more tothe "goals" in the first post to keep it it all in one place but I dont see the edit button anymore.
Yes there is a time limit. Way its always been since RC's inception.

I was braking a large piece of rock and found this:
I assume all the brown stuff are some kind of sponge but what are all those crystals? I have not seen anything like that before. and now the question is is it safe to put it back in the tank?

I have not seen crystals in liverock before either. They look like calcium carbonate, which would be safe. If so, they should dissolve quickly in vinegar or other acid. I'd try a sample.

Looks more like a geode, then live rock, looks like lots of mineral deposits, Good idea to check with vinegar, brad.
Just for me I wouldn't use it. Looks like a nice build.

It has been soaking in vinegar for 48 hours and nothing has changed, or dissolved. I think its some kind of geode. I will not be putting it back in the tank. Interesting thing is from the outside it looked just like a piece of rock.

Little update. I have been working on the plumbing, takes forever to prep and pain all the parts and pieces.

I will use 100g Rubbermaid tub as a temporarily sump and have it plumbed with the main tank before the big move also trying to figure out easy plumbing transition.

Will take new pictures and post soon.

Meantime I installed pond liner on the floor to protected if from the saltwater.

I know how much everyone likes equipment so here is my new skimmer. I have to say I am extremely pleased with the quality of it. Kevin from Deltec USA was a pleasure to deal with. Super fast shipping and great price. I was originally thinking about purchasing Reef octopus elite 220SSS but I am glad I did more research and learned about Deltec.

So, let me tell you about my Planet Aquarium tank nightmare!

I placed an order on May 1st through LFS to have the tank ordered and delivered. (I have a back injury so lifting it wasn't an option for me.)

A month later the tank was delivered to LFS, and few weeks after that, it was delivered to my home. I was at work at that time it was delivered (my wife was home) and when then the two guys carrying it were just two feet away from the stand, one of them lost grip and dropped it"¦chipping a corner.

They left the broken tank sitting on my living room floor for over a month because the owner of the LFS didn't want to take it back and risk dropping it again.

Finally, 6 weeks later, LFS came to my house to swap out the chipped tank. But, when I took a closer look at the replacement tank, I found all kinds of problems with it! Bubbles in the silicone. A scratched background. Peeling silicone. Etc. I have no idea who built that tank and how quality control let this Frankenstein leave their factory! See for yourself:

I was told LFS would contact PA and see what they could do.

Week after week I waited and heard NOTHING. I kept sending emails and calling LFS and every time I got a hold of them, I was told they were still waiting to hear from PA.

Mind you, the reason I have been working on a new tank build since New Year's and that I ordered the tank in May is that we are expecting our first baby at the end of August and I wanted to have the tank moved and ready before the baby arrives.

At this point I was really starting to lose my patience"”especially because every time I contacted LFS I was told they hadn't heard back from PA. I even called PA myself, but they didn't want to deal with me and sent me back to LFS.

Finally, LFS got back to me and said PA was building me a new tank (yet again). In the end, after almost 4 months of dealing with headaches from LFS and PA, I received an acceptable tank on August 19th"¦a week and a half before my baby's August 30th due date!

Yikes. I won't order from PA then when I upgrade or move - although the new tank looks great. I always try to pay for these things by credit card - I hate doing a chargeback, but I like knowing I have the option.

BTW - I know you moved. Are you still in Twinsburg?

Yikes. I won't order from PA then when I upgrade or move - although the new tank looks great. I always try to pay for these things by credit card - I hate doing a chargeback, but I like knowing I have the option.

BTW - I know you moved. Are you still in Twinsburg?

I paid by CC, the first tank was beautiful and perfect, except the drop. Second was was just a joke. The biggest problem was the timing and pretty much non excising customer service.

Yes, I am in Twinsburg now. Moved year and a half ago from Ohio City.

Congrats on the soon to arrive baby!

Oh boy, your tank tale is not one I want to be reading while awaiting my tank's arrival. Tough to hear all of that headache but I am glad it is all over with!

Looks really nice!

Back