drunken mistake: put my zeovit aahc in the freezer

The formation of ice crystals may have shredded all the cells, you may just be adding polutants to your tank now. Your better off replacing the AAs.

+1 with this answer. It is difficult to predict what the forumulation of those ice crystals will do but it is safer to discard I think.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12838896#post12838896 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by ZAZA71
The formation of ice crystals may have shredded all the cells, you may just be adding polutants to your tank now. Your better off replacing the AAs.

I have no idea what this product is, but AA's are not the same as cells.

Brings up a good point about drinking and reefing...........I am guilty myself, I've messed up a few things when I was buzzed and thinking I was cool, LOL
C

Re: drunken mistake: put my zeovit aahc in the freezer

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12838254#post12838254 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by adtravels
Can any one see there being a problem when defrosted, doh

Zeovite AAHC is amino acids - high concentration? If so there should be negligible effect on AAs by placing them in the freezer. Once they defrost completely it should be fine. They are pretty stable at a wide range of temperatures. AAs are building blocks for proteins. They are essential for all life, however, the additive should not contain bacteria as they will have most of the AAs in protein form and not usuable upon addition to the tank.

^will not the extreme cold denature the proteins? or will they return to their normal shape once they reach room temperatures again?

Freezing does not denature proteins, in general, much less affect their amino acid building blocks. Repeat freeze thaws can degrade some proteins.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12842826#post12842826 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by sm51498
^will not the extreme cold denature the proteins? or will they return to their normal shape once they reach room temperatures again?

AAs are pretty simplistic in structure consisting of a few covalent bonds. Freeze thaws will not destroy these covalent bonds. AAs are building blocks of proteins. As such they require linkage in tandem to form protein strands. These linkages will be made by organisms uptaking the AAs from your bottle and not actually already prepackaged in the bottle. I wouldn't worry about it too much. Your AAs are fine.

Denaturing of proteins is the misfolding of their tertiary structure. This will occur when proteins are heated and then allowed to cool. Some will fold to their original conformation whereas some will not. The latter require chaperones to fold correctly again.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12842969#post12842969 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Amphiprion
Yeah, amino acids are fairly stable, unless subjected to pH extremes, which may react with functional groups.

OMG I'm going to have nightmares involving organic chemistry tonight! pH extremes should not be a factor in this case.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12843382#post12843382 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by BangkokMatt
Singha beer is announcing a 'Don't Drink and Reef' campaign. A good idea I think:hmm3:
In that case, I'll help you break down your tank on monday:D

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12842982#post12842982 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Genetics
OMG I'm going to have nightmares involving organic chemistry tonight!

:lol:

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12842982#post12842982 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Genetics
OMG I'm going to have nightmares involving organic chemistry tonight! pH extremes should not be a factor in this case.

I'm fully aware of that, nor did I say they would be a factor in this case (least of all, for you to point that out). I simply stated what would typically affect amino acids chemically.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12844370#post12844370 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Amphiprion
I'm fully aware of that, nor did I say they would be a factor in this case (least of all, for you to point that out). I simply stated what would typically affect amino acids chemically.

I'm confused, are you stating that I am being malicious in my post? I assure you that is not the case. However, if you feel that way I can explain why I wrote this. Stating that functional groups could be modified chemically by pH change in a thread where they are worried about the deterioration of their supplement by freezing implies that freezing may change the pH. I was simply clarifying that this is not the case.

I actually have to apologize, as I was in a bad mood when I typed that post. Looking at it, I fully understand what you were implying. It was just that, at the time, I was taking that as a smart a$$ comment, not necessarily in the right context.

Back