Dry rock acid bath

I am going to put in in my rock curing tank, put in some new SW, pump, and let'er rip. I will do a check a few days later. I know one rock is man made, the rest I got from the LFS years ago. Some of it is base rock.

I have the 250G up and running now for about 5-6 weeks with a mix of dry and live rock, and live sand. No lights. I am anxious to get this in so I can sit back and relax a bit. I realize with every disturbance, things can go AWOL, so I want to get this done quickly.

Where did you get the Hanna Checker?

:deadhorse:
I am going to put in in my rock curing tank, put in some new SW, pump, and let'er rip. I will do a check a few days later. I know one rock is man made, the rest I got from the LFS years ago. Some of it is base rock.

I have the 250G up and running now for about 5-6 weeks with a mix of dry and live rock, and live sand. No lights. I am anxious to get this in so I can sit back and relax a bit. I realize with every disturbance, things can go AWOL, so I want to get this done quickly.

Where did you get the Hanna Checker?

Amazon

What would be the correct ratio for an acid bath using muriatic acid? I see 1:4 mentioned. When you need enough to do 120 lbs . Would well water work for this bath then rise ih RODI?
Any opinions would be helpful.

Usually, we recommend adding 1 part acid to 10 parts water. That should be strong enough. Never add water to acid (boiling can send acid flying), and definitely work outside, keep the fume exposure down, and use protective equipment. I'd suggest safety glasses and acid-resistant gloves.

This is old, but relevant to my question:

Do I add water first, then the acid, and then the rock? Or do I add the rock before the acid?

Also, to get the first few millimeters off the rock, how long do I soak the rock for?

Where do I get acid resistant gloves? Will swimming pool goggles or diving masks work to replace lab goggles?

Water first, always.

I put in rock to allow displacement then acid. Someone else said 1 to 100.

I did 1 to 25

Soak overnight.

if i understand it's:

Water
Rock
Acid

You could add rock, then water, then the acid. Acid has got to be last.

This is old, but relevant to my question:

Do I add water first, then the acid, and then the rock? Or do I add the rock before the acid?

Also, to get the first few millimeters off the rock, how long do I soak the rock for?

Where do I get acid resistant gloves? Will swimming pool goggles or diving masks work to replace lab goggles?

Select your rock tank/trash can/container. Fill it to where you think an optimal level will be. Place your rock in the container (often this will cause an overflow - it's easy to underestimate the volume taken up by the rock). Add your acid in about a 1:100 - 1:10 ratio (1:100 will yield 0.1N HCl; very safe, but slow. 1:10 will yield 1N HCl- skin/eye hazard, and violent reaction with the rock). Mix the acid with a wooden stick, a plastic stick, or a piece of PVC pipe (old broom handles work well) as best you can.

Doing it this way avoids getting splashed with acid if you were to place the rock, check the volume, remove the rock, add and mix the acid, and replace the rock.

In 30 minutes to an hour at >60 deg F temperatures will be more than enough to remove the outer layers of the rock, even at the 1:100 acid:water dilution.

Any rubber glove designed for dishwashing or janitorial duties is acid-resistant. Yes, swimming pool googles or a mask will work, but you must take it off immediately after adding the acid and stirring it up. Sealed googles/masks can actually concentrate acid fumes and hold it next to your eyes, which is why lab googles and safety glasses aren't sealed.

I just did my rocks a couple of weeks ago and I was surprised that there was almost no odor from the process. I would have thought it was not even working had I not seen the reaction:

cookrocks.jpg

The thing that turned me away from the acid bath is, I love the look of the Pukani as it was. Not to mention I had time to wait, and it looks like that my patience is going to pay dividends

Add the rock, fill with water to cover rock, some say ro/di water. DO THIS OUTSIDE!! WEAR GLOVES, SAFTY GLASSES AND A RESPIRATOR rated for what your doing. THEN slowly add acid. until it bubbles. Wait a few until its not bubbling then add more. Do this a few times. let it sit for an hour or so. Add some baking soda to neutralize. Remove rock, dispose of acid and rinse rock and let soak in RO/DI for 24 hours. Then you can cure the rock or add it to your tank to cure. Good luck. Please be careful as the fumes can cause massive internal chemical burns. With that being said this is easy to do and works well. I got my blue gloves at harbor freight. They go up to my arm pits. A diving mask will work at protecting your eyes.

Admin the 2nd post needs to be deleted for everyone who sees it and runs off, what he said is very dangerous... honestly the post above mine is the only post needed in this whole thread.

Muriatic acid is hydrochloric acid. I would avoid sulfuric acid. It's even more dangerous than muriatic acid, I think, but both require very careful handling. Work outdoors, wear gloves and eye goggles, and remember that the fumes are toxic.

Back