Dsb - Electrolysis

teapua

USING ELECTROLYSIS - WOULD IT BE POSSIBLE TO CREATE AN AREA OF O2 DEPLETED WATER TO REDUCE NITRATES

/ SIMILAR IN CONSTRUCTION TO A DSB

[A REMOTE ELECTROLYSIS BED]

i was wondering if the anaerobic bacteria could benefit from the remote area and aid the aquarium in denitrafication?

could we pull the aquariums off the power grid?

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15354411#post15354411 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by teapua
i was wondering if the anaerobic bacteria could benefit from the remote area and aid the aquarium in denitrafication?

could we pull the aquariums off the power grid?

a remote deep sand bed would be preferrable.If set up correctly it will great an anoxic area itself that would support the denitrying strain of anerobic bacteria.

as far as electrolysis--IMO that means current which could and probably would kill your fish:eek2:

here is a good thread on dsb's:

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1652103

electrolysis splits water molecules to create oxygen and hydrogen (flammable)- I don't think it actually removes dissolved oxygen from the water. So I don't think that would actually work.

Greenbean is correct.
Electrolysis in seawater produces more chlorine than oxygen at the anode.
In a small, enclosed area such as your aquarium this constant addition of chlorine could possibly sterilize your beneficial bacteria or worse.

Consequently, electrolysis in sea water also causes minerals such as calcium carbonate and magnesium to precipitate and buildup on the cathode.
For this reason, there are several projects using electrolysis to quickly build artificial reefs in the ocean.
The process has been used off the coasts of Mexico, Jamaica and Indonesia, and just last month a project was approved to begin using the process to build an artificial reef of the coast of Florida.
http://www.globalcoral.org/reef_restoration_using_seawater.htm
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/nationworld/la-na-electrified-reef28-2009jun28,0,6825119.story

So to sum up, electrolysis in sea water will not only create chlorine in your tankwater, but will also leech out the essential minerals that many of us spend good money to add in the first place.

So ok for the ocean but not ok for our tanks (because they're confined and not natural in regards that we have to add chemicals to mimic the ocean?)

Pretty much.
Keeping in mind that the benefits and purpose of using it in the ocean is completely different from what the OP's intentions were.

Electrolysis would oxygenate the water, not deoxygenate it. The O in H2O does not count when counting how oxygenated water is. Electrolysis creates freed H2 and O2 gases which would bubble up, oxygenating the area.

2H2O(liquid) + electricity→ 2H2(gas) + O2(gas)

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15357325#post15357325 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Biologist
Electrolysis would oxygenate the water, not deoxygenate it. The O in H2O does not count when counting how oxygenated water is. Electrolysis creates freed H2 and O2 gases which would bubble up, oxygenating the area.

2H2O(liquid) + electricity→ 2H2(gas) + O2(gas)
:confused: I think I need to spend more time in the Advance Topics and Reef Chemistry forums because this is all interesting to me.

Back