Dual Return Lines

mattr

Hi Rex,

In the third article on pumps you discuss your preferred setup for return water from the sump to the tank using multiple return pumps or a single return pump with two return lines.

If i want to create a second return line using a single pump, do i use a T-piece. If so, what is the orientation.

Also, do i need to observe any special rules for the output on the return lines, specifically, to the two lines need to be identical in length?

Regards,
Matt

Hi Matt,

If you are using ridgid pipe you can use a T, if using tubing you might be able to use a Y. If using a T and do not plan on having seperate valves for each return (recommended using the valves if possible to give better control) then you probably want to arrange the T's center section to be the inlet to better balance the output flows, if using valves then this is less critical. You will loose some flow rate due to sharp turns throught the T but this is typically more than compensated for by the fact that the flow rate in each of the returns is about half what it would be otherwise and reduces the flow losses in them accordingly.

Again, if you use seperate valves on the different returns then you can always adjust the relative flow rates to compensate for different lenghts or any other differences that you migh have for the two (or more if desired) returns.

Remember that while reducing flow losses by using two returns is a nice benefit the main advantage of having two (or more) returns is the flexibility it gives you improving your tanks circulation.

Regards, RN

Back