Dyed Coral Questions

eho72

Like a dummy, I saw this pink colt coral at a LFS and thought, "hmh, this must be exotic. Never seen it in this color before." It's about a 5" piece selling for $70. I bought it, took it home and put in my 120g aquarium. My tank is mostly SPS frags at the moment. Putting the colt coral in made it really stand out. After looking at it for a day, I realize it looks strange and unnatural with such a bright color for soft corals. Went online and did a search. I did not realize that corals could even be dyed. Of course the LFS never mentioned this when I bought it. I am pretty sure there is no return policy unless something died within 24 hours.

Here's my question now that I am stuck with this. How long until the dye wears off? Will it be harmful to the other inhabitants in my reef tank? What do I do now with this odd ball coral sitting in my tank? I hate to sell it for much less than what I bought it for just 2 days ago.

if it is otherwise healthy, the color will fade over the next few months, and it will regain it's natural color. More likely, it will not make it. If it were me, I'd take it back if possible.

I'd take it back. The dye is either used to cover up a bleached or dying coral or is used to sell one as a hard to get one at a higher price. If you purchased it at a local store and you are sure it is dyed, I would take it back and question them about it.

I am at work at the moment. I will try to take a picture and post it later tonight. Unfortunately, the LFS is not that local. The drive is 1 1/2 hours away so even if they will take it back, I doubt if I would drive back there to return it. I have never even heard of dyed coral until now. I wish that a fish store would point this out when someone is buying their corals.

This is not my exact coral, but very close to it. The color is dark pink/ magenta.

magentacoltcoral.jpg

That definitely is not normal. I have seen colt corals come in light pink/peach colored, but never anything that. I have seen some leather corals (Sinularia dura in particular IME) dyed that hot pink color though -it's sad, really.

yeah, it's dyed. If you have good lighting there's a good chance it'll survive but turn a plain old greenish brown.

I think your best plan is to call them, explain the situation, and see if they will take it back. I know it's inconvenient, but you should try. If they won't, or deny that it's dyed, then just take pictures as it fades. I'd take those pictures and post them to your local reef club forum. Most LFS watch those forums and take that stuff pretty seriously.

Was that store near Long Beach. I don't want to name it but I think I know which store you got your pink coral. Personally I don't buy staff from them due to the poor survival rate of their life stock.

Agreed with a lot of the above.

Take it back (I wouldn't call.... I'd just walk in and ask for the manager POLITELY and stay polite the whole time even if they pi$$ on you).

I would, however, print out some information on the dyed coral and take it with you. Show the manager the EVIDENCE and make your case clear.

If they just refuse and refuse, take him back and take good care of him. Colts can be fairly tough, although he would prefer a more nutrient-rich water than a normal SPS tank will have...

Yes, the store is in Long Beach. Starts with the letter "T". lol

That was my first time going to that place. The store has a huge selection, but after I think about it, I don't think I will be going back. They have a lot of colorful corals I have not seen in other stores. Being fairly new to the hobby, it slipped my mind that many of their other corals there are dyed. I did call them up today and ask about my colorful leather coral. They said that they don't dye them, but it was just sold to them that way. I didn't give them a hard time, just wanted them to admit that they sold me a dyed coral. Too bad I live in San Diego, or I would have returned to the store and get my money back.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15506988#post15506988 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Waterobert
Was that store near Long Beach. I don't want to name it but I think I know which store you got your pink coral. Personally I don't buy staff from them due to the poor survival rate of their life stock.

I've been there before back when I lived in LA...great place but they do end up with a lot of dyed corals. They often end up as "misc. soft corals" in shipments from wholesalers. I've seen them at both big stores and small mom & pop shops.

Stick to their frag tanks. It's been a couple years but last time I was there they had one of the best Zoanthid selections I've ever seen.

Wow, I would really like to know the full name of that place as I go to several LFS in Long Beach area when I'm there. There's no question if it was me I would go back in there and get a refund/replacement. It's ridiculous that they act like they don't know what's going on especially as a majority of their business is reliant on return customers or word of mouth.

Back