e-bay powerheads

If it sounds too good to be true it might just be too good to be true. I personall don't trust Ebay when it comes down to essentials like that unless it is branded name or something I personally already know. Just my opinion

I've used the cheap koralia/coralvue knock-off power heads and have nothing bad to say about them. Reguardless of brand the sad thing is that they are most probably coming off the same assembly line in China. Unless your willing to shell out the cash for Tunze or Vortech I'd buy the cheapo Ebay PH any day.

I have been using those cheapo powerheads for while and and the only thing that wasn't great was when i set them up with RKL in wavemaker mode, other than that they were great...
( were... as now i have saved some $ and got myself MP40 :bounce3:).

Are these powerheads even UL listed? When you buy an electrical product that is operated under water, you probably should worry about safety. Somethings just aren't worth it in my opinion.

I had those for two years then they burned and leaked electricity into the tank. I bought two and both burned after about the same time frame.

well i would experiment with them in my salt water mixing tank first. there you can check for electrical leakage too and see how long they last.
personally i would not hang my hat on a UL or CSA listing as these are all self certifying. the labs hardly do their own testing anymore so you rely on the mfg and their word. just my 2 cents
I would also check to see how much power they use. they may be cheap but if they suck power, it will cost you in the end.

I would be curious if they leak any stray voltage into the tank. For me a huge benefit to the Tunze's was that they run on 12 volts and not 120 volts.

The reliability, wave options, magnetic mounts for up to 3/4 in glass and flow control with the Tunze's were a big selling point for me. Personally I wouldn't trust them and would go with a major brand name depending on your budget.

When it comes to salt water equipment only time will tell a good product from a bad one. I'm all for saving money so what we need from you guys who have these E-Bay powerheads is to tell us when they go out on you, if ever. That way we can judge on facts and not on price. I mean every one use to knock the LEDs from China then all of the sudden a lot of people jumped on the bandwagon and again only time will tell.

Any other experiences with them on a wavemaker? I was using MJ12's on a wavemaker, but I need powerheads that "push" water rather than "stream" it, like Koralia's or Seio's.

(I had the MJ suction cups come loose and it shot the water upwards, emptying the entire frag tank, ouch)

I'm trying stay cost effective, since it's just for a frag tank.

Thanks for all the response It seems to me it may be worth a shot but on a GFI and a grounding probe!

Any other experiences with them on a wavemaker? I was using MJ12's on a wavemaker, but I need powerheads that "push" water rather than "stream" it, like Koralia's or Seio's.

(I had the MJ suction cups come loose and it shot the water upwards, emptying the entire frag tank, ouch)

I'm trying stay cost effective, since it's just for a frag tank.

I set two up for my diy controller and wasn't happy with the grinding every time they fired up. I had them each run 60 secs, then a 4 min. break and then again, etc. What I found is that the impellar wobbles a bit and the starting and stopping weakens it. I have used the 800 gph one by itself and its a good pump, except the impellar loosened up. I'm going to get 2 Koralia 750 heads for the controller. If they are continuously running, I see no problem using them if you choose.

I would be curious if they leak any stray voltage into the tank. For me a huge benefit to the Tunze's was that they run on 12 volts and not 120 volts.

Van de graf generator produces 1 million volts. It does not kill anyone. It just gives people bad hair. It is not the voltage, it is the current. At the same power output, lower voltage is more dangerous because it uses more current.

Back