EagleI's "A Reef in LA"

EagleI

A Reef in LA

I've been reading RC for over 5 years now and I am finally posting my first build thread. I'd like to give some background on my hobby experience as my story isn't so typical.

I'm 20 years old, reef keeping is one of my many many hobby interests. I have no high school education (dropped out after a terrible 9th grade experience), and no college degree. Between the ages of 15 and 17 I worked about six different jobs in all sorts of fields. At age 18 I took a little bit of skill from each trade I had learnt from and started my own online company. Now two years later I am working full time running my company and about to open my second one, with two employees and an optimistic future ahead.

Throughout my childhood my house has been a bit of a zoo, and we've always had fish tanks. Unfortunately all our saltwater tanks eventually would fall to abandonment once "nemo" died or there was too much algae on the glass. It was one tank up and one tank down, nothing new under the sun. The cycle continued until about five years ago when I visited a coral reef store. That was a game changer. The huge amounts of life in the tank, the colors, the equipment, the challenge, it was a new world to me having grown up on "Petco" tanks with HOB filters and glass pebbles as substrate. I decided a coral reef would be my next endeavor. Well, like most new hobbyists my dreams were quickly smashed into oblivion when I tallied up the price tag. A reef tank was way out of my budget. After a year or so of trying to come up with the funds, I realized there was just no way I could make it happen and I'd have to give it up.

Let's fast foreword to July 2016. I'm finally making it happen. My dream is slowly molding into a reality. With a semi-tight budget in mind, my philosophy is simple. Focus on the most important parts of the build and do it right the first time. Go big on the crucial bits and be modest where it pays to be. I will post all my plans here and am completely open to constructive criticism. This build has been the evolution of a vision since I was 15 and has been a truly amazing experience, which has only just begun. I am taking my time, researching everything and trying to learn as much as I can while I move along. ReefCentral has been a massive aid in getting me to where I am today in my reefing knowledge. I also understand that although I've read books, watched countless videos and read thousands of articles and threads, this being my first tank I am technically only a beginner. Hopefully sharing my experience will be both educational to me and a reference to others looking to build new tanks.

The Tank:
This "half-trapezoid" tank is a slightly strange tank. It was meant to be a custom in wall tank for a famous pop star here in LA, but the buyer canceled the project. The seller wanted it out of his store fast, and for the price it was an absolute steal. Between it having an angled wall, no viewable side panels and it not being glass, it was in no way my first choice. But the price was just too good to say no, considering it was still brand new in the plastic. I am really happy with the buy and I think it will prove to be a worthwhile move when the tank is all set up.

Details:
  • 84"/72"x24"x30"
  • Front Viewing Panel is 84" Long, Back Panel is 72".
  • 240G Total Volume
  • 5/8" acrylic all around
  • 6x drains in the overflow, 1x intake on the overflow wall for a closed loop and 1x loc-line return in the tank + x3 returns over the top.
  • Black back and sides.

I've had a 24" tall tank in the past, and being this tank is 30" tall will be a challenge but after speaking to a whole bunch of 30" tank owners, the verdict seems to be if you're willing to get your shoulders wet, its worth it. Im fairly excited to see what kind of aquascaping I can pull together with a tall tank.

IMG_0177.jpg

Stand
For the stand I used RocketEngineer's template with a few added supports for my unique tank. I opted for maximum access space on the front so I did a 2x6 header which only required me to use a single 2x4 support in the middle on each side. I did however add an additional stud on the back where the shorter wall of the tank meets the edge, and an angled cross brace to support the angled wall of the tank underneath the plywood top (not pictured).

I went for a 40" tall stand because the tank will be near the entry of my home and having the tank at eye level will add an extra level of 'WOW' when visitors walk in. I also figure it's easier to stand on a step than bend over. I'm not a short dude :hammer:

The rendering:

Screen-Shot-2016-07-03-at-7.35.18-PM.png

Execution:

IMG_0590.jpg

Pocket holes on crucial joints:

IMG_0589.jpg

Nearly finished product, still need to make overflow cut-outs, screw down the top and apply Kilz II Latex primer.

IMG_0603.jpg

The stand would have had more progress over the weekend but I had a bit of a medical emergency and I've been out of commission for a bit, so I jumped on RC and made a thread instead.

I did however have my brother put together the QT system, its a 50 gallon tank with a dual drain overflow and a 36" sump. Why? I got both the tank and the sump for FREE. Can't beat that. Should make a solid QT system. Will only run carbon and a filter pad, heater, light, powered by a Jaebo DC pump.

IMG_0601.jpg

Lighting, Filtration, Flow, Water Change, Maintenance...
(July 3rd, 2016)

Lighting:
I scored a crazy good deal on three brand new EcoTech Marine Radion G3 Pro's. The original plan was to subsidize with T5, to help with shadowing and for better coverage, but I may be picking up some Kassil A360WE's and running those instead of the T5. Also a really great deal.

It would look like this. Would love to hear your opinions.
--RADION-KESSIL-RADION-KESSIL-RADION--

Filtration:
Sump will be glass, I decided to save a few hundred $$$ and go glass instead of buying a fancy acrylic sump. At the end of the day the glass sump will serve the exact same purpose just as well, it just won't have the bells and whistles of the fancy CNC'd sumps.

• 52"x19x18 is the most I think I can safely get out of my stand.
  • Drain down chamber > sock holders > skimmer/reactor > bubble trap > return

Skimmer: Reef Octopus Regal DC 250INT
    Reactors: AquaMaxx XL
    ATO: Undecided
    Return: EcoTech Vectra L1
    Heaters: Undecided

Flow:
EcoTech Vectra L1 (additional to return), will run this one on closed loop
Thinking about using a Maxspect Grye...what do you guys think?

(MORE TO COME...)

Off to a good start so far.
BTW many low-tech tanks are very successful. Expensive doesn't = success.

I use Kessil + t5 but since you already have the G3s use them + t5s.
And use 4 2 in front and 2 in back.I believe the t5s are the missing piece ,imo.

Eagle I know you are following my build... So lets see some updates! Its been a month ha! just teasing.

Back