Early stage planning 500g system

raidendex

Hey guys. Currently have a 180g SPS reef, which I almost recently sold due to impending move in the future. But decided to keep it after I sold off most of the corals, making the possibility of the move much better without killing livestock.

Of course as I started to think about how to do the move, it still seemed a bit daunting to drain 200g+ system into the buckets, so the empty 180 and 120g tanks, as well as, the stand can be moved to a new house. Later I thought I should just build a new stand and get a new tank, probably about same size maybe going up to 210g display. But then I thought if I'm going to upgrade might as well go big lol.

So as of right now I am planning to go with 500g tank 8'x'4' footprint with 2' height. Trying to get an estimate for the tank and the metal stand now, to see how much this would all cost. I would've built stand myself, but I'm not sure I can keep such large footprint easily square/leveled etc. So a metal skeleton that I will later skin myself sounds much safer in that regard.

If you guys have any suggestions for where I should buy tank or stand from (I'm in Orlando, FL area) please let me know. Or if you wish to share some estimates how much it should run. So far online I saw 1/2" 500g at $1800 and 3/4" 500g at $3600 or something. I would probably want to stay with 1/2" thickness at least on the walls, not sure if the bottom needs any more. As far as the metal stand I have no idea on the price or even a good design. Only have done wood stands before :) Aluminum would probably be better for weight and non-rustiness :), but I'm sure steel/iron whatever they use it perhaps cheaper.

So a few questions that I have so far.

- Should I be concerned with the placement of the tank in the house? It will be on the concrete slab with maybe laminate or tile in between (and likely some plywood above flooring and under the stand). Is it a bad idea to place so much weight right on the corner of the slab, could that area be pulled down by the tank and crack foundation (assuming the is no sinkhole there lol)? Should I try to put the tank closer to the center of the slab, etc.

- What would you suggest for lighting? I currently have 60" ATI 8 bulb T5 fixture. I would like to still use it. But obviously by itself it will not light the whole tank well. Do you think being in the middle edges of the tank would still supports pallys and mushrooms or would that be too far (about 1 foot wider than it is now in all directions). Another option would be to sell 5' fixture and get 2 4' fixtures, although either way I install them they will have to light 4 feet wide area. Of course I could go with 3 48"8bulb fixtures, but I'd rather now have that many bulbs or use that much power. Easiest way that I see is to just add few LED fixtures from something like reefbreeders for extra coverage. Final option would be to mount current fixture on rails and move it over the tank throughout the day and just run it longer than current 8 hours to give all parts enough light. This may be a bit too involved lol.

And here are some sketches of the sump plan. This will be 180g converted into sump. Baffles are there mainly to keep chaeto in place not as a bubble trap, so I may adjust them, but I think that is the minimum I'd want, so the water would be forces through most of the refugium instead of just passing underneath or above.

This won't be happening for a few months, so will probably not be whole lot of in the way of pictures or progress, but I just wanted to start thinking about layout etc. early :)

Thanks for any feedback!

Look on giantaquaiums.com that guy has all the tanks 300g and larger he can find from around the country, I think you will find something your looking for on there since a lot of them seem to be in florida

Thanks, will check it out, although looking for a new tank.

Decided to layout the rest of the tank in sketch to see how it would all look. 42" tall stand was still too short for me (the 6'4" stick in the images ;P), so will go with 48" one as I do now for the 180g. Ignore the stand flimsy construction, I just didn't want to spend time adding cross supports etc. since I won't be building it anyways and don't know what that needs :)

Do some research on steel fab workers in your area they should be able to give you a ruff estimated price. I built my steel stand for my new tank 120x48x34 850 gallons for less then 600. But I'm a welder and get good prices on steel. Then just have it powder coated. As for tank AGE is who is building my new tank and chris is who i talked to awesome guy and nothing but good things from them. Also priced well not the cheapest like glass cage but not crazy expensive like miracles. I'm not a millionaire just an average joe and it was in my budget i would give them a call for sure.

I called some place down in Miami. Was quoted $2500 for the tank with 3/4" bottom, 1/2" sides. Eurobrace and some outside overflow box (not too sure what that looks like, but I just don't want inside giant top to bottom boxes :). For the stand from them it would be $1500 powder coated or so, probably a bit higher to go 48" tall. And on top of it all $500 delivery. Would still need someone here to bring it all inside and set it up.

$2500 seems cheap for the tank to me, sounds like you're getting a good deal providing the place is reputable. I had a 750g quoted from several builders and was anywhere from $7500-9700 just for the tank.

Well it depends if your 750g was quoted with 3/4" or 1/2" panels, going up to 3/4" adds quite a bit in price, but should not be needed at least for my tank size.

Has anyone heard anything about Customaquariums/Lifetime Aquariums?

Alternative way to go. 375g tank. Would feel a little better making a stand myself for that. Between building my own stand and buying 375g tank instead from the above vendor. I could probably get it all done at around $2000 instead of $4500 and still having to skin the metal stand. 500g is still on the table as the tank itself is only $300 more than the 375g.

Here is a sketch of it on a wood stand (this time it is actually how the stand will be built).

Back