Easy question...20G-Long or 29G?

MrSpiffy

Premium Member
So, I'm thinking about "upgrading" my existing system by adding a sump. It's a 20G tall right now. I figured I could convert the 20-tall into a sump and replace it with a 20-long or 29. I don't want to upgrade lighting on this, so here's my dilemma:

I have a 24" CurrentUSA 1 x 65W PC 50/50 (I keep softies/LPS.). If I get a 20L, the tank will be more shallow, letting me keep some higher-light species near the bottom, if necessary. If I get a 29, I get more "gallonage" than I had before. But the tank is 2" deeper than my 20H.

They're both 6" longer, which I can deal with, I suppose. I'll just have to figure out how to put my existing fixture over whichever one I choose.

Here are my questions:

1. Would you go with a 20L, 29, or would you do it entirely differently? (I'm not going custom-tank, here...)

2. Also, how can I get my 24" fixtures over a 30" tank without a glass top and no hanging lights? Eggcrate, maybe?

Thanks in advance for your excellent advice!! :D

1. First choice would be to do a much larger system. I have a 20H also and it wouldn't be worth the effort to me to jump to a 29. I'd at least go 55 or bigger if possible.

2. Plexiglass, 1x1 wood? Not sure.

1 id do the 29, more gallons and a little more hight, IMO 20l are just too shallow, id get the biggest tank you could fit up top, maybe even a 37 only 2 more inches higher, the reason i say bigger is no nee to upgrade agian

2 im not too falmiliar with your light but you can make brackets or a canapy to get it to fit

Well, I don't want to go TOO tall with the tank to the point of making my lighting too ineffective. That's partly why I didn't ask for anything taller than a 29. I also don't want to have to upgrade lighting, yet, since I don't exactly have the funds to do so. So if I can stay with 30" or less in length, that would be nice.

As for no need to upgrade in the future, it's only a matter of time before it'd happen anyway. I just can't go too nuts until we've taken care of some other things first (like car payments...). Otherwise, I'd be to a 50G or larger by now.

if you dont want to do any higher than the 29, then do that, it will be easier to stack the rocks for coral placement, in the 20 short rocks across will be alittle harder to aquascape, both can be done though with great success, post some pics when it gets up and running

Sounds like a pretty logical solution. More volume is better. I have to say, I do have a colt coral that's encroaching on the water surface in my 20H. I suppose a couple inches extra won't really hurt things. :)

Any more suggestions? I know there are more people out there!

Okay, so let's assume that I get the larger tank (since that's always the answer ;)). Has anyone used lighting that's shorter than the tank without hanging it? What did you do to make it work?

I was thinking about using eggcrate and setting it on top of that. But I'm looking for a look that's more, how shall I put it..., easy on the eyes. :)

Back