easy to use generator for fish tank??

codydemmel4

so before the bad weather hits, i want to make sure i have a backup in case of the power goes out.

i really just want the generator to run the tank and mostly just be able to run a heater, light (ati 8x80 sunpower), return pump and two gyres.

I am wondering what is a really easy generator to use and what you guys would suggest?

It also depends on what equipment you have and want to run using a generator. Alot of the equipment with circuit boards needs "cleaner" electricity than what a basic genny offers

Im not familiar with the equipment you listed
Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

:fish1: I have a very large whole house generator , for your needs I would purchase a Honda, portable generator, somewhere in the 3 to 4 thousand watt range, and they are very quite, and reliable, and if noise is a problem go with a Honda. :fish1:

:fish1: I have a very large whole house generator , for your needs I would purchase a Honda, portable generator, somewhere in the 3 to 4 thousand watt range, and they are very quite, and reliable, and if noise is a problem go with a Honda. :fish1:

Quite and reliable indeed, but roughly double what you can get one with a Briggs and Stratton engine on it. Yamaha, Honda and Kohler make the best generators but also command a higher price. Depends on your individual needs which is the best option

IMO, I'd steer away from the ones you have listed. They're ok for emergency power, but you really want an inverter generator with computers/electronics or fish tank equipment. The output power is much cleaner so it won't cause problems with these devices.

Is there a reason why you want to run your lights? Is the power our for more than a few days when you need to run the generator? if you run all your lights, that's already 640w of power needed.

Cody, I've always used a fairly cheap 5000w generator. But then I don't run anything like an Apex or my computers off it. The main reason for it in the first place was the fact we went 10 days without power in September (still hot here in September) after Hurricane Charlie. So we just wanted to keep the frig cold and some fans running!

Since then it has been used a few times when we've had power outages of more than a couple of hours. If I was buying one now, I'd get a better one that runs quiet. After a couple of hours the noise starts to drive you crazy!

so before the bad weather hits, i want to make sure i have a backup in case of the power goes out.

i really just want the generator to run the tank and mostly just be able to run a heater, light (ati 8x80 sunpower), return pump and two gyres.

I am wondering what is a really easy generator to use and what you guys would suggest?

Cody,

What is your power consumption at full operation?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I have a couple honda 2000i, their great, but the downside is the carb. If you don't know how to drain them, you will need to know how to do basic carb cleaning.

They have an inverter, and provide clean power safe for electronics.

I can run my furnaces (blowers), fridge, garage door, tv, and some lights off one of them with a transfer switch.

Most of the Home Depot stuff is ok, it's middle of the road quality for those who buy based on price alone.

I have a sportsman generator i think mine is 7800w its Dual fuel and I only run it on propane. It Is NOT Invert-er generator but i have ran everything from a fridge to computers and LAZER Equipment off it.

The key to non invert-er generators with electronics. Never run them more then half of the capabilities . The more you force them to produce the dirtier the AC Becomes. Also recommended that you use a VERY GOOD Surge/ power conditioner with any generator even a invert-er generator .
I DO use one in my Network closet . When we re-wired the house all the tv server and security system voip phone system and my work computer server is in there. they plug into a rack mount version of this..
I think you can get a higher capacaty Generator and then combine it with this for far less money.

As far as HONDA... Well Last summer we Bought two HONDA LAWN MOWERS.. Two in a roll one would not start brand new the other lasted only a few weeks . We switched to a Kohler engine base mower . they Guarantee it to start first crank for 6 years.

You do NOT always have to pay more.. I also think the Sportsman is a Re-Branded Kohler engine... The guy who repaired my old one said it uses the same parts..

I use a 10,000W one I bought for cheap at TSC. No inverter and have never had any issue running any type of electronics on it. I run nearly my entire house including my PC's and apex. After 8 years of use, never had an issue.

Honda EU2000i. $999
If you have a camper or travel trailer, get the "companion" model which has a 30 amp plug as well. $1149

*disclosure: I am sales/finance at a powersports dealer :)

Back