Eco reef DIY rock mix

akillian

I may have found a potentially phenomenal product that is completely unknown!

I'm starting up a 20 gal sps rimless, and the goal for this one is to make it as low maintenance and simple as possible. Getting back to the basics here.

In doing some research, I found that ceramic rock has a lot of benefits when it comes to maintenance, so long as it's porous enough to sustain good bacterial colonies. When looking for some, I quickly realized that it's pretty high priced, so naturally I kept looking. I'm all about not cutting corners and spending the extra few dollars to do it right, but if I find something that does the same job for half the price? well... the decision is obvious.

In my googling, I stumbled across a website called Eco Reef Technologies. I have no idea how I came across it because this poor guy is literally talking to himself on his website's blog. But anyways, he's selling a product called eco rock mix, which lets the buyer shape and create their own eco reef rock.

He says the mix is a mix of aggregates and Portland Cement making it similar to live rock found in the natural ocean reefs. He also has a couple pics of coral growing on it in his tank. Apparently it's porous, sturdy rock and can be used as good biological filtration.

I like what it says about it and everything, but I can't find reviews anywhere. Nobody has used this rock mix except his family and friends, and he doesn't have very many good pictures.

Anybody know about this stuff? What is your opinion on it? Would you try it?

I would be very suspicious about trying it before testing it ina sample tank for chemicals leaching into the water. I used a fast drying product that Marco Rocks was promoting but I think in the long run I think it has hindered growth in my tank, I cant prove it but I am having weird algae issues even thoough parameters are perfect. Word for the wise.

I would be very suspicious about trying it before testing it ina sample tank for chemicals leaching into the water. I used a fast drying product that Marco Rocks was promoting but I think in the long run I think it has hindered growth in my tank, I cant prove it but I am having weird algae issues even thoough parameters are perfect. Word for the wise.

That's a good point. Have you found any good diy rock recipes?

His mix is pretty much the basis for most DIY rocks. You will also need to create holes by using rock salt or ceral for added pouriousness.

However!!!,,, any Portland based base rock MUST be left soaking in water with frequent water changes for about three months. You need to test the pH of the water until the rock does not raise it.

I just made a batch of ceramic rock and have decided to pull much of it back out. I think it really should have cured at least a few weeks. It seems to leach out lots of calcium at first.

His mix is pretty much the basis for most DIY rocks. You will also need to create holes by using rock salt or ceral for added pouriousness.

However!!!,,, any Portland based base rock MUST be left soaking in water with frequent water changes for about three months. You need to test the pH of the water until the rock does not raise it.

I just made a batch of ceramic rock and have decided to pull much of it back out. I think it really should have cured at least a few weeks. It seems to leach out lots of calcium at first.

I LOVE his third batch. I may go for that one and add a bit of oyster to it, just because he says it's fragile. If they're smaller, i love the idea of putting it into the toiled tank. Plenty of water changes in there! I'm thinking I will be forming it the rock around a pvc structure that I'll design and make it look like it somewhat defies gravity...

inspiration: http://www.thereeftank.com/forums/f76/diy-live-rock-the-hanson-method-188002.html

But it's a 20 gal so what he did would be difficult for me. Hence the PVC

DIY home made rock with portland cement can be cured much faster with a constant fresh flow. I did it in about 3 weeks last summer using my swimming pool and a power head to keep fresh water constantly flowing through. I think the low ph of my pool water helped a lot. One day soaking in tap water took care of the chlorine from the pool as well. The same could be done if you have access to a stream or brook...

DIY home made rock with portland cement can be cured much faster with a constant fresh flow. I did it in about 3 weeks last summer using my swimming pool and a power head to keep fresh water constantly flowing through. I think the low ph of my pool water helped a lot. One day soaking in tap water took care of the chlorine from the pool as well. The same could be done if you have access to a stream or brook...

I do have a pool, but how can I be so sure about the chlorine not soaking in to the porous concrete? I think that would worry me a bit... I'm in FL, not many streams and brooks down here :,(

Chlorine will off-gas pretty quickly... i'd say if you just leave the rock to dry, by the time it is dry its safe to use. But you can always add some chlorine/chloramine neutralizing stuff to a bucket of water and soak it in that after the pool.

Chlorine will off-gas pretty quickly... i'd say if you just leave the rock to dry, by the time it is dry its safe to use. But you can always add some chlorine/chloramine neutralizing stuff to a bucket of water and soak it in that after the pool.

Good point, and great idea in using the pool!

Back