Ecosmart software or Radion not fully working!

Mrmole

Hi you all,

I am experiencing some very frustrating situation with the ecotech radion or the software. I am not sure which of the 2 is the problem but I am unable to make both of my radions appear as different fixtures on the ecosmart software.

I know that some of you will tell me to go to the ecotech support troubleshooter FAQ and ask me to go to it before I post here talking bad about the product. I have tried every single step about a hundred times...

The story goes like this:

I live in a country where there is no ecotech distributor so I went to Singapore to buy 2 radions. They did not appear on the software as 2 radions even after I follow the steps on the FAQ which is:

Disconnecting them all, plug in usb on one of them, do factory reset usb only, disconnect usb, connect that one onto wall then connect usb on the second one to do factory reset usb device. After this step my software recognizes 2 radions with different serial number but shows that both of them are connected via USB (???) while I only use one cable...

I posted on Ecotech support forum that I was having the issue and I was told that I did not follow the instruction carefully. I thought it could have been the case and gave some more retries and reported back that i was not working. I was told by Johnathan to call in. I am in Asia and calling the USA make me pay some not so little phone bills. Being a big fan of ecotech (at least at that time), I called.

Johnathan was very helpful and nice. Helping me with a log me in session and telling me step by step how to reset each device. We did it with no results before John called an engineer who installed some sort of "engineer version of ecosmart where he can test for temperature, fan speed, and RF signal bandwidth etc.

Johnathan then concluded that one of my fixture is defective and I should contact my distributor in Singapore to have an exchange. I called Singapore and they gave me an exchange with completely no cost, all the shipping, import tax was covered by them (Amazing Customer service). I was so happy.

The new fixture comes to me after 2 weeks and guess what... the problem persist, exactly the same problem, radions are both connected USB. When I unplug USB and power both of them on and replug USB and refresh devices, the busy Icon stays forever until the software crashes.

I called in and this time I got to talk to Brett, Johnathan was out of town. Brett redid the steps with me with logmein with no result. I asked for an software engineer but they were not available. I asked Brett to send me an email when he talks to the engineer about my situation and give me an email then I will call in again. A week later Brett sends me an email saying that he is still working on the problem.

After about a month with no news from Brett, I call in 2 days ago. This time John (not Johnathan) picked up and transferred me over to Rod. Rod claims a logmein session is unnecessary and tried to go with me over the steps on the phone. This time he tells me to create a new project and refresh devices after all the resetting before I got suddenly disconnected with him on the phone. I did not get any result and called back in again. This time Johnathan picks up and tells me that he will send me an email with the proper steps. Haft a hour later, Rod sends me an email with the following:

Hello,

This should fix the issue for you.

'http://community.ecotechmarine.com/ecotechmarine/topics/ive_setup_my_radions_but_some_of_the_fixture_s_wont_show_up_in_the_ecosmart_software--'

Rob Wilkinson

Customer Service Representative

EcoTech Marine

P: 800-785-0338

F: 888-500-2907

Rob.wilkinson@ecotechmarine.com

www.ecotechmarine.com

I don't know what to say. I am an active member of that thread. I check almost everyday for answers. I was sent there everytime I called. When I buy 2 light fixtures at USD 750+ a piece, I expect both software and hardware to be fully functional. I don't think that my expectations are any unreasonable. For that, I will not easily give up although I am a saddest customer... yes to the bones...

So, I am writing here to ask for your reefers help, if anyone has any idea, please help me if not I will still ask you to follow this thread and keep posting. For I hope that if this thread is kept alive then my voice will be heard from Ecotech management and hopefully something is going to get fixed... too bad the support guys have given up on me.

Thanks for giving in time to read my shout out for help.

Last edited:
Mrmole-I was also a disgruntled owner of the radions as the software did not meet my expectations or the quality of the hardware. After my issues with the software killed some of my coral collection, I went back to T5. You did not discuss doing any firmware upgrades on the 2 units. Are they operating on the same firmware? When I had software issues, the recommended thing to do was to completely erase the software, redownload it, reinstall firmware, and try again. I must admit that I did this process at least a dozen times. Somehow magically it did work at some point. I also had more success using an old PC rather than Parallels on my Macbook Pro. I don't know if that's an issue for you or not. Just trying to help and offer some solutions. Hope it works for you. Good luck.

You should reset the radions to factory settings and upgrade the firmware. That is always my first step. Also build a new graph from scratch. I use Parallels for Mac and it works fine. If that fails call Johnathan. He does a good job.

I appreciate your quick reaction. I did all the firmware upgrades even though i forgot to mention. I even try to do firmware upgrade again, the software tells me that all firmwares are up to date. And as I posted earlier, even Johnathan has given up on me...

Lets carry on with the posting. I need more help!

i tried that too :( there is only one thing i havent tried, it is to unmount my radions and try everthing again in another apartment. Maybe there is something like a RF signal that is blocking...

Sorry you are having such problems. Could you go back and try older previous software/firmware versions? Maybe try the USB on the second radion in another location? It is very odd that the software shows both radions connected via USB. Perhaps some interference, devices too close, signal issues...who knows. Silly glitches require creative solutions. It's too bad that Ecotech has bailed on you. The standard answers don't always work. BTW, were the radions purchased new or used? Good luck. Keep us posted...

yes I only have one radion connected at a time with one cable. I am running XP and also tried on win 7. I will try separating the radions a little further. I will also post some pictures of my radions. I bought them brand new.

I appreciate your quick reaction. I did all the firmware upgrades even though i forgot to mention. I even try to do firmware upgrade again, the software tells me that all firmwares are up to date. And as I posted earlier, even Johnathan has given up on me...
I certainly haven't "given up" on you... I was out of town on business when you last got in touch, and I wasn't aware that the issue was still ongoing with another CS representative. I'd never give up on anyone! :)

Please keep an eye on your e-mail inbox, we'll be in touch shortly with an update.

are you talking about the ecosmartlive update? It says by invitation only... even though I register with the email brett sent.

Last edited:
Please see Brett's e-mail regarding ES Live; it may take 24-48 hours before you are able to utilize it, but you should still be able to register now w/ the e-mail address you provided us.

Brett's email didn't help. Cant' log in onto ecosmartlive. Message upon registration "invalid email"...

Since your radions indicate they are both connected to the USB even though they clearly are not, what would happen if you actually did connect them both via USB at the same time? I guess my thinking is that hardwire connections might rule out wireless connection issues. Even if that would work, you still have major hurdles to overcome when programming. Just trying to help..

I just setup a pair of Radions that I had replaced from AIs and I hate the cumbersome, confusing and difficult software of these lamps.
They are not working correctly program wise and I spent 8 hours playing with these.
I need to sell these and just go back to the AIs which were simple and a delight.

I just setup a pair of Radions that I had replaced from AIs and I hate the cumbersome, confusing and difficult software of these lamps.
They are not working correctly program wise and I spent 8 hours playing with these.
I need to sell these and just go back to the AIs which were simple and a delight.

You should call Ecotech support. THey can usually get you up and running.

You should call Ecotech support. THey can usually get you up and running.

Pecan2phat's post sounds strangely familiar. The standard answer of "call support", or "mine works fine" is often thrown around, but doesn't seem to work for pecan2phat, the OP, myself and many others. This forum is filled with threads from users that have issues. Either the problems are not resolved, or the posters do not share any information after their problem has been fixed. It would be nice to see Ecotech work on fixing the existing bugs rather than pump out a new light for nearly a grand.

Back