EcoTech Marine Introduces the Radion XR30w LED Light

I also would to confirm my suggestion for how many units I would need. I have a 165 gallon tank (72l x 21w x 27h). With the 24x24 recommendation. That would imply I need 3 units. But since my tank is fairly tall. Going by the 40 gallon recommendation. I would need 4 total. So, would 4 units be more then enough to reach the bottom of a 27" tank?

Nizz- Three fixtures might do the trick, but your tank could really benefit from a fourth to compensate for the added height. It really depends on the types of coral you plan to keep as well as placement in the aquarium.

thanks jon- I would like the benefit of adding SPS. So it sounds like 4 fixture will do. Thanks again.

Is my question about lack of 420nm leds just going to be ignored? As a potential buyer I would like a response. Thanks

Is my question about lack of 420nm leds just going to be ignored? As a potential buyer I would like a response. Thanks

I am by no means an expert but I've done enough reading on here that I think I know the answer to this one...

From what I understand the radions are built on a modular technology so there maybe a solution/option in the future to supplement the 420nm leds. But as ecotech never tells of any future release dates we will have to wait and see.

Not much I know, but I doubt you will find more of an answer than that.

I am by no means an expert but I've done enough reading on here that I think I know the answer to this one...

From what I understand the radions are built on a modular technology so there maybe a solution/option in the future to supplement the 420nm leds. But as ecotech never tells of any future release dates we will have to wait and see.

Not much I know, but I doubt you will find more of an answer than that.

That is pretty much it...You can ask til you are blue in the face and many people can sit around and speculate as to why buuuuut Ecotech is not going to fill you in on their R&D work or their future plans for any of their products

That is pretty much it...You can ask til you are blue in the face and many people can sit around and speculate as to why buuuuut Ecotech is not going to fill you in on their R&D work or their future plans for any of their products

But why were 420nm LEDs not used from the VERY beginning? I don't care if Ecotech won't say anything about future developments but they should be able to answer a very simple question.

Either 420nm LEDs were too expensive and the fixtures would have to cost more than they already do or Ecotech found some crazy study that shows corals don't need light in the 420nm range (which is not possible since chlorophyll A needs light in 417nm area).

spectrum-corals.jpg

The whole 420nm LED issue isn't isolated to just Ecotech though. I have mentioned the issue about 99% of the LED fixtures on the market. Why is such a vital spectrum missed with them all?

Again, either they are too expensive (doubtful) or proper R&D isn't being done. I have no doubt that Ecotech will release new LED clusters in the future that will provide a little better spectrum but at what cost? $100 per cluster? So now your $750 light costs you almost $1,000? What do you do with the old clusters? Selling them will be hard when everyone is saying you need the new clusters to have a true full spectrum.

I am not bashing Ecotech for one second. I have tried numerous ways to acquire a Radion but I am not dropping $750 on a light. Can I afford to? Sure, if I want to tick off my wife and live through that mess (no thanks).

I just think we as consumers need to hold these companies accountable. No one has held AI accountable and they continue to build fixtures that seriously lack what is needed IMO.

The whole 420nm LED issue isn't isolated to just Ecotech though. I have mentioned the issue about 99% of the LED fixtures on the market. Why is such a vital spectrum missed with them all?

Again, either they are too expensive (doubtful) or proper R&D isn't being done. I have no doubt that Ecotech will release new LED clusters in the future that will provide a little better spectrum but at what cost? $100 per cluster? So now your $750 light costs you almost $1,000? What do you do with the old clusters? Selling them will be hard when everyone is saying you need the new clusters to have a true full spectrum.

I am not bashing Ecotech for one second. I have tried numerous ways to acquire a Radion but I am not dropping $750 on a light. Can I afford to? Sure, if I want to tick off my wife and live through that mess (no thanks).

I just think we as consumers need to hold these companies accountable. No one has held AI accountable and they continue to build fixtures that seriously lack what is needed IMO.

I think as a informed buyer it's just something you have to weigh in on with your purchase. From the tons and tons of posts I have read people can grow corals of all types with LEDs. Some people fanboy some brands, some people I think blame lights when there are other factors, and some people maybe are just luckier than others.

I am not sure there is a specific formula that equals success and I am not sure that this particular spectrum is a make it or break it issue. I am purchasing radions later this month, because of several factors for me personally:

• I know they grow corals of tall types.. I have seen several tanks that have done it and done it well, check out dave's tank.
  • Support is HUGE, these guys are awesome and I don't think anyone can disagree with that.
  • Price is honestly not that much of a difference if you look at number of units compared to other offerings out there that are of this quality. (IN MY OPINION) I know a lot of people would disagree but for me and the research I have done I personally think they are giving you what you are paying for when compared to other non DIY offerings. At least thats my hopes.

For me its a no brainer.. Should I care soo much about one spec or another if I know its gonna get the job done in my particular application? For me the answer is no, for other folks the answer maybe way more complex.

I would say instead of holding all companies to a spec that you feel is important that you invest your money into the products you support. I try to make informed decisions and vote with my money. Maybe that's too simple but that's my two cents :p

you only need 2 fixtures to keep both . 3 come one were the hell is the 3thrd one going over the brace. Alot of people here have 2 over there 120 with sps only.

Yea good luck with that. Remember Ecotech has a recommend on how many fixture you need. It's in this tread a number of time. A 120 gal would need at most 3 and the very least 2. But if they are having good luck with just a few. Well who knew.

Yea good luck with that. Remember Ecotech has a recommend on how many fixture you need. It's in this tread a number of time. A 120 gal would need at most 3 and the very least 2. But if they are having good luck with just a few. Well who knew.

Thinking of taking the plunge, tired of spending $190 every 6 months for radiums, great bulbs just a little pricy. I have the standard AGA 120g with the huge center brace, so 3 would not be practical for me. Just curious how high people are hanging their lights over the water, 24" deep tank. I have some sps and softies. Still a little worried about the fan facing the water.

Thanks

Thinking of taking the plunge, tired of spending $190 every 6 months for radiums, great bulbs just a little pricy. I have the standard AGA 120g with the huge center brace, so 3 would not be practical for me. Just curious how high people are hanging their lights over the water, 24" deep tank. I have some sps and softies. Still a little worried about the fan facing the water.

Thanks

Mine is 8" off the water on a 24" tank. The fan is fairly low flow, and I have had ZERO salt accumulation on the fan over three months.

Mine is 8" off the water on a 24" tank. The fan is fairly low flow, and I have had ZERO salt accumulation on the fan over three months.

Thanks. Also I did not see it mentioned anywhere on the longevity of the leds and warranty of the product.

*edit found the warranty info**

Yeah i been with this post from the start , and thay been saying 2 fixtures for a 120.

But why were 420nm LEDs not used from the VERY beginning? I don't care if Ecotech won't say anything about future developments but they should be able to answer a very simple question.

Either 420nm LEDs were too expensive and the fixtures would have to cost more than they already do or Ecotech found some crazy study that shows corals don't need light in the 420nm range (which is not possible since chlorophyll A needs light in 417nm area).

spectrum-corals.jpg

I get what you are saying, and agree but I dont think Ecotech is going to comment on this because there really is no good answer that will make everyone happy (money, no R&D, reports, etc)...All we can do is wait and see what comes next.

Back