Effect of low Alk on SPS?

Froggy

Reef "Hobbyist"...right!?
I have been having trouble with one coral in my 75 gallon reef that has been in the tank about a year. My ORA Chips acro has been showing recession at the tips ( the purple tips are turning tan/yellow). This seems to be the only coral affected and I was at a loss for the cause. I fragged the receeding tips only to have other tips on different branches do the same thing. I have been on dosing cruise control with Randy's 2 part formula and have been lazy about testing.

No changes in lighting, equipment etc. I began to suspect possible alk burn but this is the only coral looking P.O'd. Polyp extension still shaggy like Chips are but tip recession continues.

I did a round of testing with Salifert and found my alk to be low for my liking ( 6.7 DKH ). Calcium was high at about 490 PPM ?? and MG a little low at 1260 PPM.

Needless to say, my tanks chemistry is out of whack. I usually maintain my alk at 8.5 DKH. Is the drop to 6.7 enough to cause the recession ? I have not tested for a couple of months so I cannot tell you how long I have been suffering from low alk and high calcium.

Any ideas are welcome. I will be SLOWLY bringing the alk back up as I do not want to make things worse with a knee jerk reaction and raise it too fast. I will just let the calcium settle on its own by not dosing calcium for a few days. MG will also be brought up to about 1350 over the next week.

Any other suggestions?

Hey there, I have had similar problems. Here in NC the water is very acidic. Dkh out of my ro/di system was 2.5. My sps did not have good plyp extension, and my lps were all receding and dieing. I am now dosing with b-ionic 2 part for the past few months and dkh 9.5 and calcium 400-410. Mg around 1350. I also treat the water coming out of my ro/di system with a water stabilizer/buffer. I would also check your dkh out of your ro/di system. Once you have it corrected, try to maintain stability with minimal fluctuation. I dose in the am when lights out and ph a little lower. Don't forget weekly water changes. Good luck and hope this helps. Al

Alk. burn is usualy only attributed to high alk.A very sudden drop from 8.5 to 6.7 may have a serious affect but im not certain exactly what or to what extent.I have observed a very sudden rise in my alk. before and it caused some bleaching but no tissue loss.

Thanks for the replies.

I initially suspected alk burn ( high alk ) by the tip recession but was surprised that the alk was actually low instead.

I will try to snap a picture soon so you can see what I am talking about.

I could really use some more input guys. Anyone else ?? :)

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12235790#post12235790 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by al abaqueta
Hey there, I have had similar problems. Here in NC the water is very acidic. Dkh out of my ro/di system was 2.5. My sps did not have good plyp extension, and my lps were all receding and dieing. I am now dosing with b-ionic 2 part for the past few months and dkh 9.5 and calcium 400-410. Mg around 1350. I also treat the water coming out of my ro/di system with a water stabilizer/buffer. I would also check your dkh out of your ro/di system. Once you have it corrected, try to maintain stability with minimal fluctuation. I dose in the am when lights out and ph a little lower. Don't forget weekly water changes. Good luck and hope this helps. Al

If your testing 2.5dkh alk out of yourRO/DI then either your test kit or RO unit is no good.

Back