Effects of 24 hours of darkness on Caulerpa taxifolia...

BecomesOcean

I'm preparing to eliminate my cyanobacteria problem with the 24 hours of darkness treatement that I hear is quite effective. My main concern is not knowing what 24 hours without light will do to my Caulerpa taxifolia. I only have a 10 gallon so any die-off would be significant to my tank's inhabitants.

Anyone have any experience with this?

billsreef

Moderator, 10 & Over Club
Premium Member
I've seen Caulerpa go 24 hr plus in nice dark shipping containers. It should have no problem. Though I also expect your cyano not to have much of a problem with the dark either. Not sure where you heard that 24 darkness would kill off cyano, but I have my doubts it'll be that easy to kill.

greenbean36191

Premium Member
24 hrs of darkness won't do a thing to your cyano. I keep my lights off once a week and it hardly has any effect on my cyano. I would say it would take several days (around a week) of total darkness to get rid of your cyano and it wouldn't be much nicer to your caulerpa.

Huachinango

AuroraDave said:
That's a good article Huachinango. I have heard that some caulerpa has become a threat in our oceans

I really didn't have a clue why some of the plants are illegal in our state. Well after reading that article I can now see why.