Eheim Universal Pump

raheel_01

Hello.

Now I have a problem. Eheim 3400 submersed in water works for 10 seconds then seems to be going on and off. Sprays water for a second then off then back on and after a few minutes the pump goes dead. I opened it and notices one teeth of the impeller is missing/broken. Now the impeller in India is very expensive and no Eheim service centres as they are imported from abroad. Pls guide if this issue is due to the impeller or something else with the machine because I don’t want to waste money on the impeller if something else is the issue. Eheim customer support by email is horrible. No response. So out of frustration I pulled out another brand new Eheim 600 universal pump from my cupboard, submersed in water and connected it. Worked for 2 minutes and then stopped and there was a strong burning smell. After that the machine was hot. I offed it and waited for 2 hours. The machine is dead since then. I am not new to pumps as I have my aquarium run successfully with Jebao but I need help as to what is happening and what needs to be done. My power supply is also perfect as all other equipments work perfectly. Also pls note the dry run is not the issue because both the machines were submersed in water by me to avoid any undue incidents. Now I have tried over 4/5 days and the same thing. I have given up. Experts pls help me. I am scared to invest in a third Eheim now. Thanks.

Sorry for the problems! Just a few ideas: Your electrical system may have straying voltage that other devices in your home aren't as sensitive to, so it only seems as if all is well. The particular outlet (if you plugged it into the same place) may have a specific short. Also- and unlikely as may be- you may have the poor luck of having two equally flawed pumps if you bought them one after the other recently. I've never had problems with Eheim and would take them over most other pumps in their price range.

It does very much seem like an electrical problem. If you know anyone with a voltage meter, taking them apart and testing the flow might be a next step; however, I think it's most likely the home electricity.

Sir, thanks for the reply and it shows your experience in the hobby. Yes the Usa voltage is different from India voltage which is much higher so there are voltage converters which I use that enable me to use the gear that I purchase from the USA. So the electrical issue is not actually the problem. Most of my gear is from the USA and Uk. Uk and India seem to have the same voltage.

Just noticed nonstop tiny bubbles coming from one corner of the Eheim 600. Could be the issue, maybe the pump was not sealed from the company and water got in. My bad….A serious waste of money. Jebao has done the job for years, time to get it out from the trunk and back in service.

Sounds as if it may have been faulty pumps all along. One further possibility is the Eheim 3400 (if you've been using it for sometime) may have been clogged by calcium precipitate, as a result of heat, which happened often with mine. Soaking it in vinegar can loosen it. The second one may have simply been defective. Hopefully better luck with the Jebao!

Back