Elder's 16 foot 350 gallon build

Elder1945

Let's start off with a bit of a back story. I started in the reef keeping hobby with no prior experience in aquariums fresh or salt. My first tank was a 29 Bio cube that is still running to this day at my wife's parents house. We are now in the process of converting it over to a seahorse tank! After moving from a 29 gallon I jumped right into a 125 gallon deep tank (I will never own a deep tank again). After countless problems and never actually liking the depth or size of tank I decided to get out of the hobby..

Fast forward 8 months I started to get the itch again and decided to go Nano. I picked up 2 spec V tanks and completely convert them to suit a nano reef.

So after running the spec V for a whopping 3 weeks it was time to upgrade....
So here is where it truly starts.

After looking at hundreds of tanks online I decided to build a 60 gallon rimless shallow reef. The dimensions were 32"x32"x14". I used 3/4" acrylic and built a fully custom all in one system in that back that had interchangeable baffles at its core. This was developed so when new equipment came out I could move a baffle and fit it or I could add a refugium or whatever I wanted without tearing down the whole system.

After great success with this tank and a friend asking me if he could have the tank over 4 months it was running. I finally broke down and gave it to him..

So time to upgrade I enjoyed the baffling system so much and it work a hundred times better than I thought I decided to carry on with a large all in one system.

So after a week or so of planning I built my current tank 32"w 15"h 96"l out of 1/2" acrylic with euro braced top and 1/2" bracing on seams (I over build stuff).
This tank has ran since May 24th 2014 and here is the story.

In this post I plan on covering all the issues I had the setbacks the triumphs . Also the livestock choice coral choice and what I have experienced keeping a reef this size up and running.

I am going to try not to get into the cost or how much I have spent due to the fact that I don't care all that much for money in general.

Good Stuff:
Equipment list as of today
Skimmer: Reef Octopus sss-150 with cleaning neck
UV: Turbo Twist 3x (Under sized but I used to clear up a bloom in my water Column and never took out)
Return Pump: Aqueon 4300
Reactor: BRS Duel reactor
Filter Socks: Vertex 4" Filter socks x2
Live rock: 250 lbs + 1x 8" x 8" x 4" Plate MarinePure Ceramic Biomedia
Live Sand: 100 lbs of caribsea live sand
Power heads: 2x hydor 1500s
ATO: Hydor auto top off system powered by MJ 1200
Computer: Apex jr
Heaters: 2x jager 300w
Lights: 2x MaxSpec Razor 420r 16k
Power: APC 1500 with Gas generator on standby.

Livestock: ( this will have to be updated as at one point I had a good list but now after going to LFS every week for 10 months it is hard to keep up with.

Fish:
1x 3" Scopas Tang (This is my favorite fish I bought from Reef Boutique it is just an amazing fish).
1x 8" Naso tang brand new just added (wanted the tank running for 8 months before adding larger fish).
21x 1-1.5" Mono Argentus (yes they get big but I have a friend with a 800 gallon fowlr who will be taking them off me in the next 2 years.
6x Carrberryi Anthias 5x female 1x male.
2x Banggai Cardinal they are a mated pair and spawn every 4-5 weeks.
2x Snow Onyx clownfish these also are a mated pair and spawn every 3 weeks or so.
2x all black Midnight clownfish these have paired and I am just waiting for them to start spawning,
1x Black Cap jawfish (this is my 3rd one I just installed lids on my tank for this fish).
1x Green Mandarin (this guy eats frozen and is fat and lazy)
1x Diamond Watchman Goby
1x Orange Spotted Goby

Inverts:
2x green bubble tip anemone (split into too one day after placing in tank).
1x Sand sifting star (had 2 but even with my large sand area seemed like one was always struggling).
1x Skunk Cleaner Shrimp
1x Blood Red Fire Shrimp
1x Banded Coral Shrimp
1x Tiger Pistol Shrimp
3x Camel Shrimp
8x Sexy Shrimp
2x Blue Velvet Nudibranch (these are on their way out they were fixing my flat worm issue before it got out of hand).

This list does not count my cleaning crew I think at last count 50+ Hermit Crabs 20+ Nassarius Snails.

Coral:
I will not list you will see in photos and at this point the list is to long....

Ok now the bad stuff..

Stuff that I have lost.
2x Black cap jaw fish (this is my fault no lids on my tank, both jumpers).
1x Kole Yellow Eye Tang (He was doing fine for 4-5 weeks and boom dead?).
1-2x Sexy Shrimp (I think when I added them my jaw fish ate one or two intently).
1x Mono Argentus (power head ate him).

This is it over the last 10 months which is surprising since I did rush this tank.

At this point I am in the process of upgrading one last time :). I will post pic's below... Its in the planing stage and will coincide my basement being finished.

Last edited by a moderator:

Here is a better look of what we are making for the space. There will be minor changes but in all this is what we are going for.

The tank is now just shy of 190"..

We are in full build mode now... I had a issue with the 2x4 stand I was making so instead of half asking it done I decided to scrap it and go with steel or plywood.

This was the stand now its a new shop table :).

This is the final of the tank... Things will change but it starts the build.

All in all I am back on track and have received some of my new equipment :bounce3: ..

In the next 2 weeks ill have the stand done and will start making the tank.

I do not like my current tank as I can not really enjoy it.

how big will you center overflow to hold the ss5000

This is a top down view of the tank.

The purple is the equipment...

This is what I have now, Seems to fit everything with room to expand. I will run 2 reactors + 5 250w heaters and the skimmer. In the 2 ends are the overflow with a mag 24 in center as return. This allows me to have 4 4" filter socks if needed 2 on each end. I am doing a mock up out of sintra (Flat PVC sheets) to see how it all runs.

I think this is how it will go but during the building process this might change and to be honest I might order more equipment :).

16 feet is so cool and what an upgrade history!

Just thoughts from the peanut gallery: Doesn't the protrusion inhibit that glorious long view ? I remember seeing a 12' acrylic small-dimension build awhile ago and he joined the front panels, but quite a bit of work there it seamed (punny I know).

I have an 11' that was hoping to setup but moved and can't fit in my house, so becoming a sump to a 300dd. I loved seeing the tangs swim that distance.

Cheers

16 feet is so cool and what an upgrade history!

Just thoughts from the peanut gallery: Doesn't the protrusion inhibit that glorious long view ? I remember seeing a 12' acrylic small-dimension build awhile ago and he joined the front panels, but quite a bit of work there it seamed (punny I know).

I have an 11' that was hoping to setup but moved and can't fit in my house, so becoming a sump to a 300dd. I loved seeing the tangs swim that distance.

Cheers

Yes I can join the acrylic sheets end to end I have done this before and do not mind the work. I am trying not to lose too much depth with the all in one design. This is a drawback of the "All in One". All in all tho how this tank is viewed is from my computer desk in my office so I do not believe this will be an issue.

This also changes it up a bit so I do not have a big rectangle..

must be good to be your friend, by that I mean, whenever I upgrade I sell my old stuff for next to nothing to friends, before trying to move it on here. :)

Attachments

• quickly.jpg
    quickly.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 0
So the last week I have accomplished a lot more then I thought would get done. This is where I stand now Acrylic is in glue is in and the stand is done. So next is the tank build. This will take a week or so with dry times.

All the 1/2" Acrylic 12 sheets :p

Stand Pics :D

And a pic of my new computer at work :p

must be good to be your friend, by that I mean, whenever I upgrade I sell my old stuff for next to nothing to friends, before trying to move it on here. :)

LOL yes I ended up giving my 60 setup to my buddy and all my equipment is going to my other buddy who wants to upgrade his tank now :).

One day I will have friends that have larger tanks than me so I get free stuff :)

Elder this is awesome! If you would, please share the process of joining acrylic end to end like you are planning. I'm working my way up on acrylic builds, but nothing end to end so it would be a huge help!

Ok, Here is the tank build going full steam..

The stuff needed to make the tank..

And some of the sides going on...

Glue joint done..

Back