Electric blue hermit crab's legs floating around.

Anemonee

Hey everyone!

Did a little research, so I know it's not unusual for hermit crabs to lose their legs, however they said it can be due to stress or moulting. There are three legs on the bottom of my tank but he seems to be alive and well in his typical daytime hiding spot.

We got him about a week ago now. He only comes out at night so it's hard for me to examine him. When I put him in the tank last week he immediately switched shells, so I took that to be a good sign.

I just want to make sure what I googled was accurate as this is my first hermit crab. At first, we thought he was eaten by someone or attacked. I'd also hate to think he was stressed. Could my emerald crabs be picking on him? They are both quite aggressive little buggers.

I really just wanted to see if anyone else has had this happen and if I should be worried.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My best guess would be just a molt. Looks like a couple legs and a small bit of their body.

A pic would help.

4534371bec40a310cfc3232d2eebbf0f.jpg

Getting a picture is kinda hard but there are four little legs floating around. :(

For taking pictures, try to turn your blue spectrum off and use only white lights.

When a hermit crab molts, the legs can retain their color and look JUST like the normal legs. Scared the dickens out of me, cause mine were all together so it looked like his whole face got ripped off, legs and all!

My suspicions are as homers, its very likely just a molt and nothing to worry about.

Especially if he just changed homes. More room and bigger now!

I was just thinking that maybe if I was smart, I'd turn the blue spec down for pictures hahaha

That's a relief cause I was definitely worried since there were four of them! Haha

I've seen one from my one of my emerald crabs. I thought it was dead and was upset until I saw them both walking around.. more than confused, I googled and found out that they moult a perfect empty shell that still looks like a crab. Freaked me out for sure haha

Back