electric question

Lorenz725

I am setting up a basement sump and need to know how many feet I have to be away from the main electrical/fuse box? Right now I am 3 feet away from it. Thanks
Charles

Not sure there's a specific rule, but I wouldn't be comfortable with a sump that close to a main electrical panel. Is the panel well above the sump level? In any case, a general rule for bathrooms is that electrical switches and/or outlets should be farther than a person's reach between that device and any source of water such as the sink, bathtub or shower. You're not supposed to be able to reach a switch or outlet while in the tub or at the sink. My bathroom is small, so the outlet & switches are within reach of the sink, but not the bathtub. I rely on a GFCI outlet to protect me in this case. Bathrooms need GFCI devices according to code for some time now and all your tank equipment should be so equipped. There's no way to GFCI protect your entire electrical panel, so again, I'd be looking to increase the distance substantially between that & your sump. Large amount of water, splashing, pumps running, the potential to be touching both the water & the electrical panel within arm's reach ... looking for trouble/disaster/fire hazard. Maybe not for you since you're aware of the hazard, but your family or children may not be.

Last edited:
There is no rule per say other than the "working space" code which is not a safety issue it for me...So I could adequately perform any tasks involving your panel and have room to dit. That rule is 2 foot area..So 1 foot each way from the panel and 2 feet out from it

There is no rule per say other than the "working space" code which is not a safety issue it for me...So I could adequately perform any tasks involving your panel and have room to dit. That rule is 2 foot area..So 1 foot each way from the panel and 2 feet out from it

Oh and if you were refering to a gfci issue with the panel...there is no electrical codes for aquariums...lol. But since what you are refering to would be you have now made your basement a "wet location" the cover on the panel would need to have a water-proof enclosure....Dont worry about it...just keep stuff clear out of the way of the panel anyway for any reason

I hope water does not splash that much that it goes 3 feet! But I will keep an eye on the moisture around the area. Thanks

Back